white paste on TOP of mandarin leaves

MzshanteJuly 3, 2012

I saw posts for white stuff on the underside of leaves but this stuff is on top of the leaves on my plant. I've tried googling it but can seem to find out what it is there no scales and it doesn't appear to be an aphid. also a couple of leaves with what appear to be on or two sprinkles of pepper. I noticed the pepper sprinkles about a week ago and now this goop appeared this morning. was not there yesterday. also new leaves are growing but the ends turn black and wilt away. its a young tree so I don't know if it is supposed to have fruit yet but I noticed very tiny balls of what I thought would have grown into fruit but are brown and dried out. please help.

ps there were three leaves affected by the white stuff, I cut them off and after taking a photo I burned them in case it was some sort of egg as I didn't want it to spread. I also have a 7 foot lemon tree but I don't think it's affected yet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krismast(6 S.E. PA)

It looks to me like it is some sort of moth cacoon. In that case, if I am correct, you might be able to just pick the cacoon off. Regarding the fruit, if it is a young tree, the fruit does not always reach maturity. Sometimes it just falls off. It's a natural response because the tree might not be quite old enough yet to handle fruit production.

Kristopher

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 10:57PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Likely a spider "house"

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 3:21PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

The curious amongst us want you to dissect these things....now! Put a couple of the most promising leaves in the freezer for an hour or so (after inserting them in a plastic bag) and gently pull them apart with with toothpicks or similar....if you don't want to use your fingers.

Then, take pictures.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 8:59PM
cearbhaill

There's just a simple something pupating in there- rub it off with your fingers and go on about your day.
Nature is fun- don't be scared :)
Not every bug is a catastrophe requiring incineration.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 7:33AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Nothing pupating there. Certain spiders make hide-a-ways like that.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 12:30AM
Mzshante

well those leaves have been destroyed, rhizo and I haven't seen anymore since. If I do I'll do as you suggest.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
Help with Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree
Hello, The bottom leaves on my dwarf lemon tree are...
arti_asharma
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Sap on citrus leaves, but no insects
I have been studying the many comments regarding sap...
diekle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™