how do greenhouses water their cacti/succulents?

petrushkaOctober 29, 2013

does anybody know what is the set-up?
it can't be individual drip,right? too may small pots!
can't be misting - humidity too high.
then what? could it be wicking mats? individual drip for very large plants?
i recently bought sev plants all planted in coir peat in plastic pots with lots of holes in the bottom - exactly like they use for water-wicks. hawortia, gollum jade, hybrid aloe. and they all had very nice roots too when i repotted - that is after sev months of watering by hand - and i checked to water when coir peat got dry - it took some time! but roots were good.
i found some obscure reference to wicking succulents in the greenhouse - but cannot find anything more detailed.
has anybody seen/used wicking set-up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bsmith717(6)

If nothing else, im sure you could call them/another succulent green house and ask?

It would have to be some sort of automated system on all but the smallest houses. Manually watering all those plants n would be quite labor intensive.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 10:56AM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

I don't know what big operations do but why couldn't it be misting? I think misting is a great way to deliver a small amount of water evenly. You just don't leave it on very long and don't run it every 15 min. Misting once a day in the morning works great for me for a wide variety of plants.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 10:21PM
petrushka

well, i can't mist my furniture and floors ;).
but i can set up a wicking mat even on a small scale. so that's what i am trying to find out about.
i don't know of any greenhouses to call that possibly use wicks/wicking mats for cacti/succulents. but i read that some do wicking extensively - but can't locate their web-site at the moment.

i did find references to growing succulents on wicking mats in sev places. but no detail on what species, etc.
on DavesG forum smbody asked a question about it and got an answer, but i don't have access to it to find out.
but obviously it's possible and i want to find out how.

Here is a link that might be useful: dutch growers using wicking with peaty soil mix

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 1:22PM
petrushka

so i set up a wicking mat for my hawortias and a small golum jade. and just put clay pots on top of it without wicks. the pots were absorbing thru the bottom.
for large sans i used top wicking method: wrapped a braded thick nylon wick around the top of the pot in contact with soil and then covered it with 1/2" of gravel. and dropped the other end in the bottle with water.
one plant got 1 qt bottle , the larger one got 2qt bottle.
both absorbed all water in 2mo at about 65F in low light and are doing good.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
Tricolor sport
I was hoping the sport I found on my Tricolor would...
camellia1_gw
Can you please name this succulent (Qatar)
This was growing along with cactus it has red ripe...
maufie123
Need Help rooting GIGANTIC Jade cutting from 30 year old specimen
As stated, someone did a HUGE favor for me (no charge...
Bama_Joe
My very first 'Terrarium' and need advice on watering.
So this is my first time doing Terrarium, and i want...
kizasugondo
Prevent mix from falling out drain hole - what do you use?
I have a few particles falling out the bottom of my...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™