Bunny Proof Plants??

midnightsmum (Z4, ON)May 5, 2009

Well, Cameron is on holidays, and a friend needs some help. Is there such a thing as plant that Bugs does not find appealing?? Who has had experience keeping rabbits out of their garden??

TIA, Nancy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweetannie4u(midOK_z6b/7a)

Silk Flowers?

I jest.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 3:56PM

These are what I can think of off hand:

Sage, Salvia, Rosemary, Lavender (most Herbs), Marigolds, Lamb's Ears, Artemesia (Wormwood, Southernwood, &etc), Veronica, Canna lilies, Asters, Yarrow, Pyrethrium (Painted Daisies), Irises, Centranthus (Jupiter's Beard), Wandering Jew, Nicotiana, Alliums, Echinacea (Coneflowers), Toad Lily or Blackberry lily, Rose of Sharon, Hibiscus (?), Columbine (I think), Coreopsis, Rudbeckia, Queen Anne's Lace, Penstemon, Pennisetum, Soloman's Seal, Dutchman's Pipe, Digitalis (Foxgloves), Buddeleia, Akebia vine, Coral Bells, Sidalcea, Gaillardia, Sweet Potato vine, Verbena, Pentas, Cleome, Garden Phlox, Chaste tree, Crepe Myrtle, Meadow Foam, Verbascum, Candytuft, Meadowsweet, Sunflowers, Allysum, many flowering vines, & many more.

~Annie

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 4:40PM
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)

Annie - what a great list - this should be archived somewhere !~

Nancy.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 6:32PM
lorna-organic

I agree with much of what my friend, Annie, listed. But I have had a few different experiences in my garden. The rabbits will eat sunflower, marigold and morning glory seedlings. However, they do not like the mature plants. Rabbits don't like catmint (nepatha), columbine, candytuft, catananche, snapdragon, chrysanthemum, osteospermum, forsythia, artemesia, grapes, agastache, honeysuckle, plumbago, cotoneaster, Maximilian sunflower,euryops, penstemons, and scabiosa. They haven't touched my tarragon, lavender or oregano. They generally don't like salvias, but they will eat the flowers of meadow sage. I think they do not like dianthus, but am not sure of that.

Rabbits killed two of my three yarrows, ate them down to the ground. They haven't messed with my roses, squash or melons. They will eat bean seedlings, but not mature plants. They will eat corn seedlings. This past winter they did eat the tops off those onions which they were able to reach.

I believe rabbits are opportunistic in what they eat. If they don't like something, they may eat it anyway, if food is scarce for them. They never touched my arugula in five years. This past winter they ate every arugula they could get to, down to the nubs. It was a dry winter here, there wasn't much native stuff available for the rabbits to eat.

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 9:01PM
PattiOH(z5MA)

I agree with the excellent lists and comments provided by Annie and Lorna with one exception.
Rabbits LOVE penstemon!
At least the varieties my friends and I have attempted to grow in Ohio and Massachusetts.

Of course Annie had the perfect answer: silk flowers! lol

Patti

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 4:26AM
phyl345(z.5)

just an idea to think about ~~ i buy a bag of milorganit & just take the entire bag & fling it all over (concentrating a little more on areas that have been munched in the past) ~~ it stinks; & rabbits don't like stinky stuff ~

it's also an organite fertilizer; so it's a win/win situation ~

rabbits are creatures of habit & i have pretty much succeeded in getting them into the *habit* of staying out of my yard!

just a thought, phyl

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 1:23PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

I've read somewhere Shasta Daisies are bunny resistant. A

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 7:38PM

I've been reading about these lilies and I want some! They are rabbit, deer and rodent proof :
Crown Imperial (Fritillaria Imperiali).

They are said to smell like skunk scent, but they are so beautiful and so regal in the cottage garden.
Bloom time - late spring through early summer.

Red, red-orange and yellow blooms.

~Annie

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 1:08AM
More Discussions
Garden critters
Here are some of the local fauna who stopped by the...
loisthegardenernc7b
Received my seeds today
So psyched !!! Can't wait for spring !!!!
Cenepk10
echinacea pink double delight
6 plants propagated from a single stem late last nov....
daves10
Aftermidnight (and others please) question
Hi Annette, I am finding this Houzz hard to navigate...
duncandotty
Gardenweb and the Houzz Team.
I know Gardenweb is now part of the Houzz Team,..however...
nulty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™