Kumquat leaf drop and possible disease

MossyPantsJuly 3, 2012

I am new to growing citrus and I think I've got a sickly plant. I live in San Francisco, and my trees are in a nice, sunny spot in front of my bay window.

I have a Meiwa kumquat that I got from Home Depot, it is about 2 feet tall. I've had it for about 3 months and it seemed to be doing fine, and all of a sudden about two weeks ago, it started dropping lots of leaves daily. It is in the same soil with the same fertilizer as it has been since I first got it and replanted it (just a mix of potting soil and MiracleGro citrus soil, and some MiracleGro citrus fertilizer...I know, nothing fancy, but my Meyer lemons seem to like it ok). The kumquat also put out lots of flower buds recently, but they only last for about a day before wilting.

A few days ago I noticed that the leaves at the end of the branches (new growth) have brownish patches on them, these leaves drop a few days after the patches appear. I also noticed some tiny white spots on the leaves and on the branches -- I can blow them away so at first I thought it was just dust...but they are only on new growth, and yesterday I noticed the same white spots on my Meyer lemon tree, which is an adjacent pot. Is this a fungal infection? How should I treat it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MossyPants

Oops, the photo didn't attach on the first try.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 11:28PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Any chance of a different angle on the first picture? The lighting obscures the details.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 12:32AM
eahamel(9a)

I suggest you take the leaves to your agricultural extension agent, or at least e-mail them some good photos. I don't know what that is, but there is a disease that's killing citrus. It's in my area (Texas) but wasn't here a few years ago.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 11:54AM
MossyPants

Thanks for your replies. Here is another photo of the damaged leaves. By now, they have all fallen off, and most of the remaining leaves have the white, flaky substance that I posted in my previous photos.

I did contact the local extension office, and they said that it looks like aphids (the white stuff is from their molting stages). I've hosed down the tree with water and have been spraying it with some soapy solution, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it helps it retain the few leaves it still has left.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 12:46PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Mite damage? I think the little white things could be mites? And the brown patches is the damage?

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Costco citrus!
Has your Costco started to stock any? We got some kumquat,...
serge94501
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
Help with Dwarf Meyer Lemon Tree
Hello, The bottom leaves on my dwarf lemon tree are...
arti_asharma
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™