Starching Crochet

midnightsmum (Z4, ON)May 30, 2011

Well, this is way OT, and I thought about posting on the craft forum, but whenever I post outside of this forum I never get good advice.

I have started crocheting Christmas Angels. Keeps my hands busy at work. lol. I work on the phones, brain not required. This helps keep me focused. They are then to be starched and blocked so that they standup by themselves. I have used cornstarch and sugar many years in the past, but would not like to use something like glue, or some other permanent stiffener - any ideas?

Thanks guys, I will cook some regular starch up to make an example and post it later.

TIA, Nancy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)

Well, duh! When in doubt, read the intructions, it had that info!!

Nancy - whose face is red.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 11:29AM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

I have a couple of those angels. One is an ornament and the other was once a tree-topper. Her skirt isn't as stiff as it once was. Is there something I can do to make it stiff again?

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 5:44PM
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)

Hi Natal - it depends on what was used originally to do the job. I am going to use craft glue, 50/50 with water to do the job. I hope to pick some up tomorrow, to try this out on the weekend. If you like, I can post pics and results when it dries.....

Nancy.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 10:25PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

I have no idea what was originally used. I bought them at a crafts fair.

I'd love to see pics when you finish.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 5:58PM
plays_in_dirt_dirt(Z7A VA bordering NC state line)

I read the forum nearly everyday but rarely post, so you won't recognize my name.

About starching the angels ... I crochet only flat ornaments (flakes, bells, wreaths, etc.) and starch them with a 50 - 50 solution of water and multi-purpose glue. One year I bought a "bargain" school glue for 14 cents a bottle. Don't make that mistake. All the ornaments turned a nasty, dark brown color. Really ugly. Now I buy only Elmer's. I salvaged the ornaments but it took several washings.

Hope this helps,
Barbara in Virginia zone 7

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 5:46PM

I read the forum nearly everyday but rarely post, so you won't recognize my name.

About starching the angels ... I crochet only flat ornaments (flakes, bells, wreaths, etc.) and starch them with a 50 - 50 solution of water and multi-purpose glue. One year I bought a "bargain" school glue for 14 cents a bottle. Don't make that mistake. All the ornaments turned a nasty, dark brown color. Really ugly. Now I buy only Elmer's. I salvaged the ornaments but it took several washings.

Hope this helps,
Barbara in Virginia zone 7

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 6:06PM
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)

Thanks Barbara - I appreciate your input. These angels are 3D, and lots of work. That is why I am wary of what I am doing. Pattern Book says craft glue, 50/50 with water, but since they must 'stand' on their' skirts, it ain't enough. I bought some 'podge' stuff at the dollar store, but it is lumpy - not wasting $$'s on that again. I think that good craft glue, full strength, may be the way to go - again, been busy, will try to get and post pics!!

Thanks All, Nancy.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 12:30AM

Nancy, I think you're right about the craft/multi-purpose full strength being necessary to make the angels "stand" on their skirts. I don't make the dimensional items because I didn't know what kind of form to pin them to for drying. That's why I stick to flat ornaments. What kind of form do you use for shaping/drying?

Here's a good link discussing different stiffeners. She has an embedded link on 3D items:
http://crochet.tangleweeds.com/stiffeners.html

Hope this helps,
Barbara in Virginia zone 7a

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Good Saturday morning, Cottagers!! A few of us having...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
reminder of spring
post your spring pics from last year This post was...
davids10 z7a nv.
Introduction! (plus a question about gaura)
Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, but have been gardening...
michellecoxwrites
Received my seeds today
So psyched !!! Can't wait for spring !!!!
Cenepk10
Gardenweb and the Houzz Team.
I know Gardenweb is now part of the Houzz Team,..however...
nulty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™