Propeller Plant - show me yours!

lme5573October 6, 2012

Last week I bought a crassula falcata "Propeller Plant" in a 3.5" pot. I thought I was getting a plant that would be more of a short pinwheel, but on checking the internet, I found that it will be at least 12" tall. I have a sunny porch with southern exposure, and I think it will do well there in the summer. But for now I need to get it through the winter.

I tried to water it, but the soil is so dry the water ran right out. So I plan to remove the soil from the roots, wash away all the bad dirt and repot in a gritty mix.

I've done a search on GW and have seen Propeller Plants that are in hanging pots, and some that are upright.

So I have several questions - What should I expect - upright or pendant, and how big a pot should I use? Is it a fast grower?

I ask about the pot, because it makes a difference if it's going to be hung or not.

Here's a link the the article I thought was most helpful - it's from the Columbus Garden Society, and I live in Michigan. Their thoughts about over-wintering were very helpful.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Lenore

Here is a link that might be useful: Columbus Cactus Club - Crassula falcata

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

My plant flopped over as it approached flowering size. It did not form side shoots. I think I accidentally thumbed a tiny sprout off last fall. It was grown in partshade mostly. This year I gave it more sun. I am more cautious with full sun after frying many a full sun plant in the Texas sun. I think the full sun fried any new growth of small rosettes so I am thinking of pulling it back from the full sun position again. This is my first so I am somewhat a newbie. I have never seen many of them so I can't use observations as a way of garnering knowledge. I clipped off the flower stalk and I see some action happening at its base. is that one plant or a grouping of separate rosettes. This plant has given me a lot of enjoyment through the last couple of years.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 11:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lme5573

Thanks for sharing your pictures, wantonomara. I have 7 or 8 rosettes growing in a 3.5" pot. Two of them are pretty small and may be attached, but I won't know until I get them out of that pot. I have a clay pot that is about 6" across and is shaped like the pot in your last picture, and I think that's the one I'll use.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Fenestraria aurantiaca
Back in September 2014 got a few seeds in. this was...
tanpexoctics
Great news!
End of day one for my new greenhouse! It is larger,has...
spikef35
Echeveria propagation and soil help for newbie
Hi! I'm new to this forum and new to raising succulents....
lavendarlilies
Pleiospilos Nelii
I just purchased one at Lowe's in a 2 1/2" pot....
elizabethk1
Hobbits for Nancy
Here are the Hobbits I was talking about. My Mom got...
ehuns27 7a PA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™