Deer Fern (Blechnum spicant)

Dzitmoidonc(6)January 4, 2013

Hello all. I'm not usually on this forum, but am starting to plant ferns. So far I have 3 species, including Fiddleheads (Matteucia struthiopteris). I recently bought Deer Fern and wonder if they need to be planted where the deer don't go. In other words, are these ferns a magnet for deer? Will planting them along the paths that deer travel make a salad for the deer and a heartache for me? I have them wintering in the mulch pile until the ground thaws and want them to have the best chance at growing.

Anybody have experience with them? (The fern, not the #$%^$@# deer.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eahamel(9a)

How about doing a search with Bing or Google? I think you will find the answers you are looking for there. This isn't a very active forum, as you can see.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 6:40PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I don't know if they would draw deer into your garden, but if you have deer already present, they will browse on these. Certainly not one of the 'deer proof' plants, if there even is such a thing :)

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 12:04PM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Thanks for the replies. Eah, I did some checks, did not find anything about their namesake animal. I know this is a somnolent forum, but I figured somebody like morz8 would come along and give some real world experience.

Ferns are about the only thing left in some Pa. state forests because of the browsing, so when I bought this I thought the name might (hopeful thoughts) indicate that it was one thing deer might avoid. Guess I'll plant it under the edge of the Cypress where the deer don't go.

Bookmark   January 29, 2013 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
Asplenum nidus with new fronds or new stems?
Two years ago they gave me two small Asplenium nidus...
Baobab
Volunteer ID
I had this volunteer in a pot and I'd like to put it...
biinaboo
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
ID for Winter Mushrooms?
Please see the Flickr link below if you think you might...
vmr423
Rabbit Foot Fern dropping fronds
I have a rabbit foot fern, Davailla sp., that has been...
gill_bo_baggins
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™