mushrooms in warm climates

kennsJanuary 2, 2013

Hello,

I live in Brazil and it is impossible to buy fresh mushrooms here, so I would like to try growing my own. I have done a bunch of reading, and it seems like you need temperatures of 55 Fahrenheit to grow them. The ambient temperature here is 85 degrees. We do keep one room air conditioned at 75 degrees. Would this be cool enough to be successful?

Any tips you can give me would be most appreciated! (Even a place to buy the spores in South America, would be great!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I have grown some, years ago until I got sick growing them, Shitake and Oyster.

Oyster being the easiest, all you need is a pasteurized media, various plant matters, here happen to be straw, you might have to experiment with what works for you if straw is not readily available. Straw was chopped short, put in a larger wire basket, made my own from wire mesh,..then put in a stainless tank with water and boiled, [outdoor]. Keep your hands sterile,..then put in plastic garbage bags [sterile], when cold, inoculate with spawn.
Whole straw bale works also, bale emerged with weight in water for a couple of weeks, wasn't pasteurized, it worked pretty good. [fresh straw]
Shitake was grown on hardwood sawdust or poplar logs.

In the beginning I bought spores, later I made my own with grains. I did join a course for a couple of day's near Vancouver, BC..this helped.

Not sure about temperatures, .high humidity is good, I started first in the shed, [summer], later I build something similar but larger with a automatic mister.

Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
Platycerium madagascariense updates
Just showing a few forms of this interesting group...
RainforestGuy
Sphagnum moss update!
Frozen Sphagnum Moss- the tiny bit of purple in there...
cooperdr_gw
Do I need to trim back ferns?
Hi, I live in NW Georgia and we recently had a couple...
bevinga
Volunteer ID
I had this volunteer in a pot and I'd like to put it...
biinaboo
Where to purchase Platycerium madagascariense?
I've been growing epiphytes for years but I'm having...
epiphyteoahu808
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™