jade leaves turning black?

blutarskiOctober 8, 2008

the leaves of my jade are turning black. It looks like dirt, but won't rub off. I have a peacock ech that is also starting to show these signs.

What is it and how do I treat it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Can you post a photo?

At the height of summer, I had a few black spots (indentations) and black edges appear on about ten leaves. The leaves also had a dingy green color, so I plucked them off.

Could be too much water.

Could be a bug attack.

I don't know enough about Jade ailments to diagnose without an image, however....and even then it might prove beyond my ken.

Josh

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 12:39PM
dufflebag2002(Calif. 91607)

Possibly rotl. Take them out of the pot, and dry off the roots, trim it back and destroy the leaves, clean out the soil, wash the roots off with Clorox 50% water. Put the whole mess into an empty pot and place in the shade.Trim those leave off down to the trunk. If the trunk is rotted trim all the way down to where it isn't. Now make sure there is plenty of air circulation. Has summer started yet where you are? (Winter isn't here yet) If so don't water until you see new growth. I did notice that you are from Australia, and live on the West coast. If you have moisture in the air, no water is needed during your cool months, they don't do well here in high humidity. Mine are all root bound and are not growing in peat moss. Many are coming into flower now, as the weather is cooling down at night for us. If you can't find any healthy wood/ leaves/ stems, trunk, you must destroy the plant. Crassula ovata 'Jade' is not known to get diseases.

Josh remember
Australia is like Africa, the opposite weather that we are getting. Everything is reversed including which direction the toilet water goes around the bowl. I think it could also be black mold, he needs to remove this plant from the rest of his collection. It is known to grow on the East Coast of Africa, on rocky hill sides. Drainage of the soil is very important grows in full hot sun among rocks. Norma

Bookmark   October 8, 2008 at 9:05PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I agree. Check for rot.

And, Norma, of course I hadn't forgotten about weather in the southern hemisphere!

I can't remember exactly when I had black indentations appear on my jade leaves.....sometime in June, I'd reckon. I could probably browse back through this Forum and find a mention with a date. I know it was after a raccoon attack....

Josh

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 1:51AM
More Discussions
Help root rot kills one cactus another may be next
Hi here you can see my root rotted cactus And here...
birdgerhl
At a crossroads - potting - plastic or clay for indoor area?
I'm using gritty mix 1-1-1, mostly 4" clay pots...
Bama_Joe
Prevent mix from falling out drain hole - what do you use?
I have a few particles falling out the bottom of my...
Bama_Joe
Show my new collection of succulents
I got a present. Look at these succulents.
hm825
Thanksgiving cactus needs help
I have a TC that I have had for perhaps 7 years. Last...
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™