Selaginella

weeminimoose(9/CA)January 30, 2006

I love these guys, but I always manage to kill them somehow. Suddenly I'm seeing them for sale in a lot of stores, so now I have 4 plants :) so hopefully I'll get it right with at least one plant. I think the common name for the ones I have are "spike moss". Anyone have any information or tips on how to grow these?

Thanks,

Mini Moose

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

Depends on the species. Do you know which one's you have?
The common name "Spike Moss" is used for most species in the Genus and is of no help in identifying a particular one.
Selaginella species habitats range from bogs and swamps to deserts and from tropical rain forests to artic tundra.
Would help if you could post a photo.
Rb

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 3:40PM
weeminimoose(9/CA)

Alright, here I found a picture of one on the net.

I think it's Selaginella kraussiana

Bookmark   February 3, 2006 at 4:38PM
razorback33(z7)

I believe you are right. S. kraussiana thrives in a moist, shady location and seems to prefer acidic soil. A S African native that is hardy here in Z7 and spreads fairly rapidly to form large cushion mats in undisturbed areas. There are 2 very attractive cultivars with golden foliage, 'Aurea' & 'Gold Tips', plus a green one, 'Brownii', that forms large clumps. For some reason, the golden forms seem to thrive more readily here than the ones's with green foliage.
Good luck with yours!
Rb

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 12:46PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
As RB pointed out there are hundreds of specie of these and to make it more complicated they change color and habit by weather conditions. i bought an unidentified specie at a local Walmart which has turned pink with the arrival of cool weather. Clipped some and put into a terrarium and it turned brilliant green lol
they seem very adaptable though they resent the florida heat. One of my favorites is S.uncinta which can be turned a brilliant blue by lowering the acidity.
I've killed a few of these but they seem to like bright indirct light ,high humidity and lots of water.
Keep an eye out for some of the vining types as well as the red ,yellow and changeable colored ones. Really fantastic!!
gary

Bookmark   February 9, 2006 at 6:55AM
More Discussions
Sphagnum moss update!
Frozen Sphagnum Moss- the tiny bit of purple in there...
cooperdr_gw
Unknown Fern ID
I had this fern sprout in a pot with another plant....
foxd
Asplenum nidus with new fronds or new stems?
Two years ago they gave me two small Asplenium nidus...
Baobab
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this but excited to learn more. I was...
momo034
Can someone help me ID this fern?
Hi, I purchased this fern 2 years ago from eBay. They...
odysseos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™