sick maidenhair fern?

Isa_10February 26, 2013

I got an indoor maidenhair fern a few weeks ago, and it's been getting worse and worse ever since. A lot of the upper leaves have wilted and dried up, but without yellowing or anything - they're darkish green. Not sure if this is normal, but it also smells kind of sweet, like cut grass. There are a lot of gray-green spots all over the foliage...I'm thinking it's because I used to mist it, and there might have been something in the bottle...
At one point it was in a terrarium, and I think I overwatered it, so I moved it to a pot...ever since then the upper leaves have been wilting as described above. Is there something wrong with the roots? Will it get better on its own, or is there something I can do?
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
That is one genus of ferns that has eluded me lol I usually slowly kill them even when I get the tropical species .
All seem to require very high humidty like over 60 percent
yet seem very sensitive to overwatering as you mention.
Would assume you have a tropical species since your growing indoors but even if it's a temperate should grow for several months . my longest survivors were kept in an outdoor terrarium and my guess as to why was the very high humidity level. Anyway hope that helps a tiny bit
If you learn any tricks please share They are gorgeous!! lol gary

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 5:44AM
More Discussions
Bird's Nest Fern with yellowing leaves and white dots
Hi there, We've had our Bird's Nest Fern (Asplenium...
pkozul
Where to purchase Platycerium madagascariense?
I've been growing epiphytes for years but I'm having...
epiphyteoahu808
Volunteer ID
I had this volunteer in a pot and I'd like to put it...
biinaboo
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
Can someone help me ID this fern?
Hi, I purchased this fern 2 years ago from eBay. They...
odysseos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™