Are there any ferns that stay green thru winter

nunlefFebruary 25, 2006

I am very new to gardening, and have found GW so helpful over the past week. I am now wondering if there are any ferns that can grow in zone 6 (although at the border of 5) through the winter. I have a wonderful spot for ferns, but the christmas ferns I bought last summer died right away. Thank You so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
waplummer(Z5 NY)

Try again with christmas fern. You have to kill something at least three times before you can give up. Any clue as to why it died? Newly planted ferns should have a good soaking once a week until established. then they can survuve a drought. There are a couple native wood ferns - Dryopteris that are evergreen and more non-natives that would be hardy for you. You do realize that although they stay green over the winter the fronds do not stay erect.

Bookmark   February 25, 2006 at 11:55AM
nunlef

I bought the ferns through the mail, and although they were green when I got them, they just turned brown after about 10 days. I did not realize the fronds would not stay up during the winter, thanks for that. Once I can get something to stay alive, that information will be very helpful. The 3 times rule is great too. I have killed nearly everything I have planted, and was about to give up.

Bookmark   February 25, 2006 at 8:45PM
tjsangel(z5 OH)

Hi,

I have a few Autumn ferns (not sure of the actual species name) that I love . They stay green all winter, can take a little drier than some ferns & the new growth is a rich copper color. Check into them!

Jen

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 8:46PM
ornata(London UK (8/9?))

The Autumn fern is Dryopteris erythrosora. It's a superb plant - pinky-copper new growth, and one of the few ferns to actually stay looking good all winter.

Bookmark   March 3, 2006 at 4:48AM
More Discussions
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
Platycerium madagascariense updates
Just showing a few forms of this interesting group...
RainforestGuy
Reviving sphagnum
I've been trying to revive my sphagnum moss using dried...
David146
Unknown Fern ID
I had this fern sprout in a pot with another plant....
foxd
Where to purchase Platycerium madagascariense?
I've been growing epiphytes for years but I'm having...
epiphyteoahu808
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™