will tree moss grow on the ground

westover(Portland OR)February 9, 2005

I have a beginner's question. I'm trying to expand a moss patch under a big leaf maple. The squirrels knock clumps of moss off the branches every day, and I'm thinking of sticking them on the bare ground to grow...but will the type of moss that grows on a tree limb also flourish on the ground?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
succulentfreak(N. CA - Z8)

I have very recent experience with this (in the last 2 months) and the tree moss that I peeled off of pruned trees has so far stayed alive on the ground. It was about 25 sq feet of moss from large tree branches and I planted a patch of moss near a running stream. It is still alive! This is a very shady moist location though so this probably helps. I also collected 6 different types of mosses from the property and made a little moss garden in a large pot saucer. I used spaghnum moss as a base for it and found that today it had attached itself to the moss. I spray it every other day to keep it wet. So I think it is possible...good luck.

Bookmark   February 11, 2005 at 9:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ddot(zn1/2 OR)

Hello!
I have a terrarium with two mosses from Portland in it. Both from fallen tree branches and both are growing on my soil.(I live on the east side so I have to have it in there). The two moss types are Fern Moss (Hylocomium splendens) and Mousetail moss (Isothecium myosuroides)--very common on maples. It will take time to take off though. Good luck!!!

Bookmark   March 25, 2005 at 5:47AM
More Discussions
Type of wood for growing shitake mushrooms
Hi, I ordered a bunch of mushroom plugs (shitake) from...
mooserider
Rescuing wilting Holly Fern
I'm struggling to grow my Japanese holly fern in my...
fieldofflowers
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this but excited to learn more. I was...
momo034
Platycerium madagascariense updates
Just showing a few forms of this interesting group...
RainforestGuy
Reviving sphagnum
I've been trying to revive my sphagnum moss using dried...
David146
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™