Potting and growing USA native Selags

terrestrial_man(9)February 21, 2011

I recently made up 7 webjournals on handling members of the subsection Tetragonostachys. These are the more moss-like species of selaginella that are generally found in mountainous areas. The common eastern US species is S. rupestris which has the widest distribution of any North American selaginella.

CLICK ON IMAGE AT LINK TO ENLARGE

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstonpat(9a)

Last Saturday, Dr. Joan Hudson, Associated Professor of Biology at Sam Houston State University and editor of the Fiddlehead Forum, provide a presentation on the sexual reproductive cycles of Selaginellas and Lycopodiums to the Texas Gulf Coast Fern Society. We have avid growers of these genus' in our group. I especially enjoyed being able to see the megaspores and micro spores under microscopes. I found your information quite interesting. I believe I noted that sub-genus growing in the Big Thicket area of East Texas. Not being familiar with Tetragonostachys, I thought they were likely a form of sphagnum.

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 10:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrestrial_man(9)

`The genus Selaginella is comprised of three basic subgroups, identified as subgenuses. These are Selaginella, Stachygynandrum, and Tetragonostachys. The subgenus Selaginella consists of one native species, S. selaginoides, the subgenus Stachygynandrum of seven native species, and the subgenus Tetragonostachys of 26 natives and 1 hybrid native. Texas has three species of the Stachygynandrum and nine species, maybe ten, of the Tetragonostachys. Most of the species occur in the western portion of Texas with one, S. apoda, found in eastern Texas.
Most Selaginellas, and Lycopodiums too, that are grown are from tropical areas and are not native North American species. Not all that much is known about the habitats of our native species. Growing either, especially the native Lycopodiums, can be quite challenging if you approach them from the point of view that they can be treated like any angiospermous plant, which, of course, they are not. Thus my interest in sharing my experiences in their cultivation.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 2:41AM
More Discussions
ID needed: Is this a Rabbit's Foot Fern?
Hi all, I found this nice little fern growing in 1...
bobochacha
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this but excited to learn more. I was...
momo034
Volunteer ID
I had this volunteer in a pot and I'd like to put it...
Biinaboo, Zone 10, Naples, Gulf Coast
Looking for unusual Maidenhair Ferns
Can anyone help me find a good reliable source (US)...
atravers
Do I need to trim back ferns?
Hi, I live in NW Georgia and we recently had a couple...
bevinga
Sponsored Products
Yorkshire Decorative Mounting Brackets - 2 pack - White
Signature Hardware
Whitehaus WHNU2918REC Stainless Steel 30 Single Undermount Kitchen Sink
$479.00 | Blue Bath
6-inch Deep Wooden Planter Boxes (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
Planters White/Green Ceramic Ceramic Vase Planter 10 H x 11.5 Dia
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Hang Pot - Turquoise - Wallter
$125.00 | HORNE
15756BBR Brass 18.9 in Kichler 9 LED Hardscape Light with Bracket
EnvironmentalLights.com
New England Patriots Game-Time Bowl
$11.99 | zulily
Safavieh Area Rug: Anatolia Blue/Brown 8' x 8' Round
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™