LED Citrus Success?

cdevoe(5b)August 19, 2014

Hello...I'm a forum newbie. I was wondering if anyone has had noticeable/quantifiable success with citrus under LED grow lights. Perhaps this had been covered in the past and I apologize if it has. We're off-grid and could not use anything of higher wattage but I am looking to somewhat supplement our very overcast winters here in upstate NY.

Thanks!

Chad

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

I use a ceramic basement style socket with a CFL for cost reasons. You can use an LED instead. For best results use a bulb that directs its light downward. My buckets are aluminium lined and have proven to be extremely effective. You can use trash cans for your light setup. I also use a box grow system you can see using the Youtube link below

Here is a link that might be useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaASoeaBErs

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 8:27AM

For my trees when they out grew the simple bucket lights, see link below. A pic of 1 of my 3 sweetlee tangerine tree from seed. They are all 18 months old at the time of picture and are all equivalent in size

Here is a link that might be useful: http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/wreristhechimney/library/sunshine2013?sort=4&page=1

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 8:39AM
cdevoe(5b)

Wow...impressive...and cost effective. Thanks for sharing. It seems a cfl has a good enough lighting spectrum. Do you use special "daylight" bulbs?

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 12:14PM

I use daylight bulb. It makes a difference. You will have no need for grow lights. They are excessively over priced and balance the spectrum by blocking some light in certain frequencies.

The main advantage in LED's over CFL's is that the LED bulbs emit light in one direction, so if you get a flood lamp all the light is sent in an aimed direction. That light that goes a stray will be bounced back by the foil lined bucket wall. The fact that the use a little less electric than CFL's is only 10%-15%. That small percentage is probably much more important to you than cost.

If you plan to use lamps with out the enclosure. LED's Are the only way to go despite price difference.

Last, you can use the lights to go on at sunset and go off at 12 midnight to augment the lack of direct sunlight. This also works well. See picture of window welled in by curtain with LED over plant Have a white shade in the window to pull so that it reflects the LED light back onto the tree. The pot should also not be in the window or the root area will get to cold

Steve

This post was edited by poncirusguy on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 13:22

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 1:05PM
More Discussions
Sap on citrus leaves, but no insects
I have been studying the many comments regarding sap...
diekle
Need help with my Meyer lemon!
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to gardening in...
wanderess
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
My Meyer Lemon Tree is not doing well... can I save it?
Hi All, I am new to this forum and joined because I...
braun928
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™