Moss ID & All Dried Up - Any Suggestions?

uncharted(6)March 3, 2014

Received this little guy on V-day. Had no clue what kind of plant it was, so I watered it as I would all my other plants - only after soil dried up. Based on online pics, it may be a club moss (?).

At the moment, this plant's leaves are no longer moist and soft and is completely dried-up to the stem.

Any suggestions how I can salvage this plant, if at all possible, or perhaps gather some spores from the remnants to make new plants?

Thanks! : )

This post was edited by uncharted on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 15:12

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

It is a variegated form of Selaginella kraussiana. It is often sold under the name 'Frosty fern', though it isn't really a fern. Selaginellas are often called spike-mosses but they aren't really mosses either. Club mosses are probably their closest relatives.

If you can salvage some healthy branches they will usually root easily in a terrarium or some other container where high humidity can be maintained. Moderate light is best. I would recommend pouring boiling water over the soil you use prior to planting to prevent mold (let it cool first of course).

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 12:13PM
uncharted(6)

"If you can salvage some healthy branches they will usually root easily in a terrarium or some other container where high humidity can be maintained."

Great! Thanks for the info. My frosty fern leaves are pretty much dead. Did you mean live branches?

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 4:58PM
lycopus(z5 NY)

By live branches I mean ones that appear to have reasonably healthy leaves on them. Depends on how far gone it is.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
Platycerium madagascariense updates
Just showing a few forms of this interesting group...
RainforestGuy
Do I need to trim back ferns?
Hi, I live in NW Georgia and we recently had a couple...
bevinga
Growing Boston and Kimberly Ferns in a Greenhouse
Hi! This is my first time posting as well as trying...
ngilland
Bird's Nest Fern with yellowing leaves and white dots
Hi there, We've had our Bird's Nest Fern (Asplenium...
pkozul
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™