South African Mosses

terrestrial_man(9)March 4, 2007

Here are images of mosses, liverworts, lycopodiums ? and selaginellas ? that I received from a friend currently working in South Africa.

I really have no clue as to the identification of these plants. I have been able to find names of Lycopodium and Selaginella species but there are no links of images to the names. I do hope I have guessed right but hopefully as I endeavor to find those experts who do know these plants for the correct nomenclature whatever corrections are necessary will be made at such time.

Enjoy these first time views of South African mosses.

South African Mosses by Bihrmann

This is a 5 page web journal.

If you encounter any difficulty in viewing the pages let me know. click here to email me

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treehaus(4)

Terrestrial man,

Those images are awesome. Some of them resemble mosses that grow in North America, but some do not. In a few of the images I cannot tell if I am looking at a moss, a hornwort, or a lichen! Thank you for sharing with us.

-Treehaus

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 9:07AM
terrestrial_man(9)

Treehaus,
Thanks so much for the comments.

However, I have to plea ignorance even though I wish I had the comprehensive education needed to really be able to provide an accurate identification. But I am finding out as I go. Talk about groping about in the dark!!

For example, I just learned that one of the images under Selaginella is actually a leafy liverwort!!! Leafy liverwort??? I only thought of Marchantia as the liverwort!!! But I am not alone as I ran across another site that was identifying a plant as a moss but showed these weird structures that mosses simply do not have. It turns out that it too is a leafy liverwort!!!

Anyhow, this original webjournal is going to be torn down in time. I have set up a new website that is easier to get into and does not have the traffic that freeservers appears to have which is illustrated by its page loads that are frequently distorted to the point of illegibility.

The new site is under construction but the link to it is below. Stay tuned and enjoy as I stumble my way through the taxonomy!!

Here is a link that might be useful: A Selected Flora of South Africa

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 1:16PM
terrestrial_man(9)

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

The new site web host has failed.

Have no idea if it will recover from whatever its affliction is but for the time being the new website is not available.

Needless to say this makes me rather depressed. I will definitely be looking for a more stable location.

Stay tuned. It is only a matter of time.

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 1:34PM
treehaus(4)

Have you considered using free blogging software to build your website? Blogs are more journal-like in style, but they can be a very easy to use, effective, and dependable tool. No pop-up advertising. With some blogs, you can actually make money by hosting advertising, but the adverts on blogs are generally not as invasive and distracting - usually just small and marginal.

I recommend Wordpress, which I have used and liked quite a bit.

Good luck, T-man!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wordpress

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 2:16PM
terrestrial_man(9)

THE SITE IS OPERATIONAL AGAIN!!

I KNOW HTML. THANKS TREEHAUS.

Bookmark   March 9, 2007 at 3:12AM
More Discussions
Unknown Fern ID
I had this fern sprout in a pot with another plant....
foxd
ID needed: Is this a Rabbit's Foot Fern?
Hi all, I found this nice little fern growing in 1...
bobochacha
Do I need to trim back ferns?
Hi, I live in NW Georgia and we recently had a couple...
bevinga
Looking for unusual Maidenhair Ferns
Can anyone help me find a good reliable source (US)...
atravers
Can someone help me ID this fern?
Hi, I purchased this fern 2 years ago from eBay. They...
odysseos
Sponsored Products
Lexington Home Brands 11 South Cosmo Square Umbria Wood Lamp Table - 01-0456-955
$629.00 | Hayneedle
Ivory-Multicolor Chekcers 5x7 Hand Knotted Super Fine Gabbeh Wool Area Rug H6854
BH Sun Inc
'Welcome to the South Y'all' Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$57.99 | zulily
Tommy Bahama Ocean Club Resort Rectangular Outdoor Dining Table, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Black & Decker T2569B 2 Slice Toaster - Black - 050875803459
$29.84 | Hayneedle
South Beach Ombre Outdoor Rug
Grandin Road
Eangee Mini Square Sea Blue Accent Lamp
$56.91 | Lamps Plus
Bite-Size Biscuits
$89.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™