Moss, type and area of growth

junie2(wa. state)March 23, 2005

We purchased a home last year but are not yet moved onto the property. One side of this small lot ( prob. 1/2 acre) is borderd by a forested area. Between the timber and the lawn is a bank that has an outcropping of rock that becomes a part of our property and landscape. Having no knowledge of moss, but seeing some product to kill moss ( left by previous owner )I have to assume what is on the rock/bank is moss. It was however, last Fall at least, a dark brown and ugly. I don't know if that will change with the Spring.

This outcropping is fairly level with small depressions filled with soil ( sandy ). I'd like to do something with the area ( maybe a rock garden )or in some area lower growing bushes ( 6') to create a fence type barrier as the timbered area is used by hikers.

If i do not kill this moss off, will it take over this area? Last fall , i could take a hold of the body of it and it would pull away from the rock in a mass with some of the soil.

At present there are no trees or shrubery in this area so is in full sun.

Would like to hear comments on moss and how this might be landscaped. The outcropping sits about 4-5 ft above the lawn.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

It might be moss. Perhaps letting the area be during the spring to see what happens would be good. It might make a nice rock garden (and there is a group of enthusiasts out there devoted to rock gardening).

When you're ready for more advice, posting a picture in one of the galleries might help spark some suggestions.

Bookmark   March 27, 2005 at 10:08AM
More Discussions
Unknown Fern ID
I had this fern sprout in a pot with another plant....
foxd
Rescuing wilting Holly Fern
I'm struggling to grow my Japanese holly fern in my...
fieldofflowers
Asplenum nidus with new fronds or new stems?
Two years ago they gave me two small Asplenium nidus...
Baobab
Deer Ferns have turned "Brown"
I have 2 deer ferns in containers on my shaded deck....
gardenbug
Type of wood for growing shitake mushrooms
Hi, I ordered a bunch of mushroom plugs (shitake) from...
mooserider
Sponsored Products
Royal Shag Red and Black Rectangular: 5 ft. x 7 ft. 6 in. Hand Tufted Rug
$338.95 | Bellacor
Hand-tufted Contemporary Brown Retro Chic Brown Geometric Abstract Rug (8' x 11'
Overstock.com
Geo Oil-Rubbed Bronze 3.87-Inch One-Light LED Mini Pendant
$217.80 | Bellacor
Safavieh Handmade Moroccan Chatham Dark Blue/ Ivory Wool Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Home & Porch Wymberly Linen 5' 9" Round
Home Depot
Cocoa Lydia Dining Chairs, Set of 2
Cost Plus World Market
Area Rug: Soft Ikat Burgundy 2' 2" x 3' 3"
$41.97 | Home Depot
2nd Avenue Lighting Octavius 14-Light Pendant
LuxeDecor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™