Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday
Happy Saturday Morning, Cottagers!! It's strawberry time in Ontario. They're a little late this year, as they are usually readily available on Father's Day, but I just saw my first road-side stand today!! In honour of these succulent jewels, here are some questions about them:
1. The strawberry we know today, the garden strawberry, was first bred in which country?
2. The plants which this hybrid was created from came from which 2 continents?
3. Technically, the strawberry is an aggregate accessory fruit, not a berry. This means it has unusual ovaries. What is odd about them?
4. The strawberry fruit was mentioned in ancient Roman literature in reference to its medicinal use. What was it used to treat?
5. The United States is the world's largest producer of strawberries, growing 1,312,960 tons in 2011. You'll probably be amazed which country is Number 2 - any guesses?? You'll probably need clues!
And I will be back with clues, this is just to whet your appetite.