Why won't a mature blood orange tree bloom?

ebbykayAugust 26, 2007

I consider it mature, it has been in the ground for about 6 or 7 years. It was in bloom when we bought it, but has failed to bloom again. At first my husband would fertilize it in the spring for several years and nothing. Then for the past few years, he quit fertilizing it. Still nothing. It gets lots of sunshine.

He wants to do away with it, but I protest and say that at least the butterflys get to lay their eggs on it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseto

Wrong fertilizer. You need a fert. that is low in N and higher in P & K. Typically a fert. advertised for flowering plants. Apply in winter just before the rains or if no rain slow drip the fertilizer into the plant.

By the way if that citrus tree in the lawn remove the grass out past the drip line of the tree. Lawns are death on plants as it consumes water and ferilizers before it gets to the tree. Keep the soil covered with small bark mulch and the soil just moist. Trust me on this (: one.

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 5:07PM
ebbykay

Thanks Rose, I'll tell my husband what you said. I had already read that today about the grass, but will make sure he listens this time.

Bookmark   August 26, 2007 at 8:42PM
jbclem(z9b Topanga, Ca)

Does your blood orange tree show signs of growth each year, new branches, leaves...is it getting larger every year? Using citrus/avocado fertilizer would definitely help it, and I agree that fertilizing for blooms might be called for here...it's unnatural that there would be no blooms on this tree for 6 years. Is someone pruning this tree?

You didn't say what kind of blood orange you have, but tell your husband that the Tarocco blood orange tree I had produced the best tasting oranges I've ever eaten. Well worth waiting for.

jc

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 7:00AM
More Discussions
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Citrus/Orange Tree in Container---Health Concerns
Hi there! So, about three years ago a friend of mine...
Grace Larkin
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
Looking for a good LED grow light
Can anyone suggest a good LED grow light to be the...
theriguy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™