Ferns/non-ferns soil recommendations?

JAMc_CA(z9 CA)March 29, 2005

I've got a small shaded area (North side of house, lots of indirect light but only a little bit of direct light) and picked out some plants to go in there. I've never tried growing ferns before, but love the way they look so I bought a few. Of course, I did it w/o any advice - hope I haven't screwed up. Here's what I got:

1 Asparagus densifluorus - Meyers

1 Microlepia strigosa

1 Polystichum tsus-simense

and some non-ferns to go with them:

1 Palemonium caeruleum ÂBrise d AnjouÂ

1 Aegopodium podagraria Varegatum

1 Astilbe  Red

Baby Tears - gold colored (thought it would look nice under and around the ferns.

Any comments on this combination of plants or whatever would be appreciated.

Also, how should I build up the soil. The topsoil looks okay, some organic matter. Haven't checked the pH, but elsewhere in the yard it's a little on the high side (7.6). What I have to work with is:

1)compost (Kellog's N'Rich Compost - looks like mostly small redwood chips, I guess)

2)sand

3)mushroom compost (high pH of 8.1)

4)peat moss

5)composted steer manure

What combination of soil and ammendments would be best here?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paalexan(NM)

Two brief comments:

The Asparagus isn't a fern. They have "fern" in the common name, but this is just one of the many times where common names are downright misleading.

The only thing that jumps out at me as being a bad idea here is Aegopodium podagraria. Maybe it's better behaved in California, but in Indiana this is a noxious weed in gardens, choking out just about anything else and incredibly difficult to eradicate once it's gotten established.

Patrick Alexander

Bookmark   March 30, 2005 at 12:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JAMc_CA(z9 CA)

Thanks for the info on my misuse of the word "fern" in reference to asparagus fern. I didn't realize that.

As far as the Aegopodium podagraria, yeah, I came across the fact that it's invasive when I read up on it after my post. However, I did read that he variegated variety is not as invasive as the non-variegated. I'll have to read up some more and consider what to do with this one.
Thanks

Bookmark   March 30, 2005 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
selling moss
I have been picking moss for a well sized moss distributor...
trista28
ID needed: Is this a Rabbit's Foot Fern?
Hi all, I found this nice little fern growing in 1...
bobochacha
Decidedly Unhappy Moss
Hey all I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Here, we...
JasonFourie514
Platycerium madagascariense updates
Just showing a few forms of this interesting group...
RainforestGuy
Unknown Fern ID
I had this fern sprout in a pot with another plant....
foxd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™