Moss & Potato Bugs

mjjgmApril 9, 2010

I found some beautiful moss growing in a parking lot a few weeks ago so I transplanted it to my back yard. It looked lovely for the first week or so, but now it's not looking so hot.

I noticed that the moss isn't 'sticking' to the dirt very well even though I water it and so I picked a few pieces up and found a ton of potato bugs underneath it!

Could this be why the moss isn't looking so healthy green anymore? Can potato bugs prevent the moss from getting the moisture it needs from the wet soil below it?

Most advice I find online says to water less since these bugs like water, but I'm afraid letting the moss dry out would kill it entirely since it hasn't settled in well yet.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjjgm

Pillbugs! They are also known as pill bugs. Or roly polies.

Not sure if they are the reason the moss isn't 'sticking' into the dirt.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 11:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardendeb

I used to think they were eating all my moss too, but I'm not so sure now. I think they like to dine on dead vegetation, and it could be that the moss was dying anyhow. I think it's more likely the soil isn't acidic enough for the moss and it's just not happy.

The area I planted my moss in is shady, usually moist (and boggy when it rains), has poor drainage, and most everything else died or did poorly. I packed down the soil really hard, and added a little soil acidifier for good measure.

Below is a picture taken a few months after I planted it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Deborah's Garden

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
Platyceriums for a cool, but frost-free climate?
Hi, I'm just curious whether people have suggestions...
mark4321_gw
Type of wood for growing shitake mushrooms
Hi, I ordered a bunch of mushroom plugs (shitake) from...
mooserider
Sphagnum moss update!
Frozen Sphagnum Moss- the tiny bit of purple in there...
cooperdr_gw
Deer Ferns have turned "Brown"
I have 2 deer ferns in containers on my shaded deck....
gardenbug
Rabbit Foot Fern dropping fronds
I have a rabbit foot fern, Davailla sp., that has been...
gill_bo_baggins
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™