Moss and compatable plantings

feptp(7 MD)April 5, 2005

Moss is taking over the side of my yard on a shady slope. I had planted perrywinkle there to help stabilize the soil, but I guess the moss will choke it out. I am considering leaving the moss and was wondering what plants would survive in the same area. I have some local ferns that I could move into that area. Will they do well together and what other planting options do I have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

I try to keep my little mossy nook free of other plants- but ajuga, hosta, astilbe and other shade lovers, not to mention weeds, keep moving closer to my little bit of moss.

Julie

Bookmark   April 6, 2005 at 4:31PM
tenbsmith

I don't really think the moss will so much choke out the periwinkle, as the periwinkle will fade and the moss will fill in. Moss is not real aggressive and most other plants seem to grow in it quite well.

Bookmark   April 7, 2005 at 5:22PM
tenbsmith

On the other side of the coin, I've noticed certain weeds tend to get rid of the moss. These are mostly weeds that are dense and low to the ground. I intend to get rid of them this year.

I'm trying to decide if I need to get rid of the clover in my yard. It seems to get along with the moss fairly well. Anyone have any pointers.

P.S. Clearly, moss and ferns are a great match. You might also try Lenten (sp?) rose which likes shade.

Bookmark   April 7, 2005 at 5:29PM
judithjane(z7, NC)

Hardy Chinese orchids
Japanese columbine
Wood hyacinths
Hostas used sparingly
all look wonderful

I have moss growing into the edges of periwinkle. Where the leaf blower is used to clear leaf litter there is more moss. Otherwise it's mostly periwinkle.

Regards.....jjane

Bookmark   April 17, 2005 at 10:59AM
More Discussions
Sphagnum moss problem
This happened once before when it got too hot but this...
cooperdr_gw
Where to purchase Platycerium madagascariense?
I've been growing epiphytes for years but I'm having...
epiphyteoahu808
Foxtail Fern growing, but strangely.
This fall, about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I brought my foxtail...
SequoiaMatt99
Unknown Fern ID
I had this fern sprout in a pot with another plant....
foxd
Bird's Nest Fern with yellowing leaves and white dots
Hi there, We've had our Bird's Nest Fern (Asplenium...
pkozul
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™