Need Staghorn Fern remounting instructions

jhwalker(Myrtle Beach, S)April 3, 2005

When it becomes necessary, through growth, to remount a staghorn fern, how does one properly remove the plant from the existing mount and reattch it to the new mount?

Thanks, Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leemcallister(Z10 SFL)

Jim,

If your staghorn is mounted on a board, then the typical approach to this is to attach the old board to a new bigger one. I've had to do this a couple of times to my holtummii and it works great.

There are a number of other options if your staghorn is mounted another way. Let us know and we can maybe provide more info.

lee

Bookmark   April 4, 2005 at 2:29PM
Cheechnchong(z8 TX)

That is what I've been told about the staghorns too... to just add more wood.

Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 12:49AM
chasb0

I need to move my large staghorn fern that is attached to a frangipani tree. The fern has been on this tree about 4 years and has wrapped itself around a large branch.

Is it safe to unwrap it from the branch or will I need to take the branch with it? If removing is OK, are there any special instructions for removal or for remounting in this case?

Thanks

Chas

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 9:16AM
houstonpat(9a)

You shouldn't need to cut the branch. Just grab ahold and gently yank it of the branch. Then mount it like any other cutting/transplant.

Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 2:40PM
dejoeco

I have a very large staghorn that has pulled out of its chain mount and fallen from the tree it had previously hung. The weight, about 75 pounds or so, makes it difficult to work. The old mount looks like something went into the sides of the plant . This is what pulled out and the plant fell to the ground. Any suggestions as to how to securely hang the staghorn?

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 9:47AM
sgriepp62

I have a 6' round staghorn weighing in at about 150# -- It's 35 years old and I want to divide it into several plants, some on boards and some in moss baskets. what steps should I follow to transplant in sections?

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Can someone help me ID this fern?
Hi, I purchased this fern 2 years ago from eBay. They...
odysseos
Decidedly Unhappy Moss
Hey all I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Here, we...
JasonFourie514
Sphagnum moss problem
This happened once before when it got too hot but this...
cooperdr_gw
Rescuing wilting Holly Fern
I'm struggling to grow my Japanese holly fern in my...
fieldofflowers
selling moss
I have been picking moss for a well sized moss distributor...
trista28
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™