for houseplants (ferns), do people ever place under glass domes?

Lynn NevinsApril 9, 2007

I LOVE ferns and would love to be able to have more in my apartment (which btw is not one of those high-heat apts. If anything it's the opposite.) Anyway, they don't necessarily do very well in my apt. In particular, I'd love to be able to grow Adiatum Pendatum/Maidenhair in my apt.

It occurred to me.... would I have better luck if I covered them with glass domes? Where could one buy such things? I googled but couldn't find. Or are there other ways to trap moisture around the plant? I know some folks grow ferns in a terrarium/fish tank, but I don't have enough table/counter space for a whole fish tank nor do I like the hard-edged look of a fishtank.

Tx all!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You need to search for a bell jar or glass cloche. You can also find glass domes in speciality stores, for the purpose displaying an antique clock or whatever.

You might want to consider a large glass 'cookie jar', too. I have one that is perfect for a terrarium. I saw rows of them not too long ago at either K or Wal mart. Large, solid glass, no tacky decorations.

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 10:54AM
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

Lee Valley has a "Wardian Case" that is an 11" by 19" glass house for plants. I have a half dozen 3" potted house plants in mine, it keeps the humidity up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wardian Case

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 8:30PM
mukaketupat

heya. i know what you mean about spaces and apartments. i got myself a really small cookie jar from ikea and made myself a small terrarium. its been almost a week, i havent watered or mist it and theres actually new leaf on my fern!! i guess that means they're happy.. :)

click the link and photos for more. hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: this is how it looks like..

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 5:48AM
More Discussions
Reviving sphagnum
I've been trying to revive my sphagnum moss using dried...
David146
Decidedly Unhappy Moss
Hey all I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Here, we...
JasonFourie514
Type of wood for growing shitake mushrooms
Hi, I ordered a bunch of mushroom plugs (shitake) from...
mooserider
Foxtail Fern growing, but strangely.
This fall, about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I brought my foxtail...
SequoiaMatt99
Volunteer ID
I had this volunteer in a pot and I'd like to put it...
biinaboo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™