for houseplants (ferns), do people ever place under glass domes?

Lynn NevinsApril 9, 2007

I LOVE ferns and would love to be able to have more in my apartment (which btw is not one of those high-heat apts. If anything it's the opposite.) Anyway, they don't necessarily do very well in my apt. In particular, I'd love to be able to grow Adiatum Pendatum/Maidenhair in my apt.

It occurred to me.... would I have better luck if I covered them with glass domes? Where could one buy such things? I googled but couldn't find. Or are there other ways to trap moisture around the plant? I know some folks grow ferns in a terrarium/fish tank, but I don't have enough table/counter space for a whole fish tank nor do I like the hard-edged look of a fishtank.

Tx all!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You need to search for a bell jar or glass cloche. You can also find glass domes in speciality stores, for the purpose displaying an antique clock or whatever.

You might want to consider a large glass 'cookie jar', too. I have one that is perfect for a terrarium. I saw rows of them not too long ago at either K or Wal mart. Large, solid glass, no tacky decorations.

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 10:54AM
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

Lee Valley has a "Wardian Case" that is an 11" by 19" glass house for plants. I have a half dozen 3" potted house plants in mine, it keeps the humidity up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wardian Case

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 8:30PM
mukaketupat

heya. i know what you mean about spaces and apartments. i got myself a really small cookie jar from ikea and made myself a small terrarium. its been almost a week, i havent watered or mist it and theres actually new leaf on my fern!! i guess that means they're happy.. :)

click the link and photos for more. hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: this is how it looks like..

Bookmark   April 24, 2007 at 5:48AM
More Discussions
Deer Ferns have turned "Brown"
I have 2 deer ferns in containers on my shaded deck....
gardenbug
Asplenum nidus with new fronds or new stems?
Two years ago they gave me two small Asplenium nidus...
Baobab
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Decidedly Unhappy Moss
Hey all I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Here, we...
JasonFourie514
selling moss
I have been picking moss for a well sized moss distributor...
trista28
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™