Crytomium caryotideum

roosp3(midMOz6)April 2, 2005

Gerbes, a part of the Dillons/Kroger grocery chain, sells plants every spring. This year we saw something that didn't look like a fern but was marked by the Latin name at the head of the posting and the common name "Fishtail Holly Fern". Found nothing on either name in the Hortiplex data base. Found only nursery listings in a Google.com search. Apparently it grows zones 6 - 9. But no good horticultural information. Erika searched Google.de and came up with only 2 matches, one in Korean and one in Japanese! (It is apparently native to SE Asia.) The label also says that it comes from Henry's Plant Farm aka Pacific Plant Farm Inc. in Snohomish WA. Does anyone have anything helpful to say? The climates of Snohomish and mid-MO could hardly be more different; but: Will it grow here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

There seems to be a dearth of information about this fern. In addition to SE Asia nativity, it is also native to Hawaii and Louisiana and the common name used by the USDA is: Dwarf Netvein Holly Fern. Judith Jones(Fancyfronds,com) recommends growing in full shade or partial shade(early morning or late afternoon sun only), evenly moist and neutral to alkaline soil, which, for those of us with clay based soil, means the addition of lime when planting and annually thereafter. I usually mix pulverized concrete with the planting soil for Holly ferns(Cyrtomium), but also have them growing in peat-based, somewhat acidic soil in pots and garden.
BTW, I just purchased several of these from Deep Roots Nursery.
Rb

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 10:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paalexan(NM)

Slight correction: Cyrtomium caryotideum is native to Hawaii, but any plants growing wild in Louisiana (according to the Flora of North America it is not known to be established in the wild anywhere in the continental US) are escapes from cultivation.

In general, I'd be surprised to see any Cyrtomium do well outdoors in Missouri, but who knows...

Patrick Alexander

Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 3:34PM
More Discussions
Asplenum nidus with new fronds or new stems?
Two years ago they gave me two small Asplenium nidus...
Baobab
Bird's Nest Fern with yellowing leaves and white dots
Hi there, We've had our Bird's Nest Fern (Asplenium...
pkozul
Sphagnum moss problem
This happened once before when it got too hot but this...
cooperdr_gw
Rabbit Foot Fern dropping fronds
I have a rabbit foot fern, Davailla sp., that has been...
gill_bo_baggins
Decidedly Unhappy Moss
Hey all I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Here, we...
JasonFourie514
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™