How long will these take to ripen?

Andrew ScottAugust 27, 2011

Wow, I know it has been a VERY long time since I posted here. Since my departure, I have sadly lost my 6ft tall Meyer due to slippery mold:( Very devastated over that loss! But that wasn't the only casulty. I lost 3 or 4 other tropical fruit trees, the worst being my 'Day' avocado, which would have been fruiting this year, and my grafetd 'Fino de Jete' cherimoya.

My Oro Blanco grapefruit on the other hand is doing VERY well in the gritty mix. Right now, it's holding onto 3 fruits that are slightly larger than a grapefruit.

Also, I won the citrus contest from Four Winds...YAHOOO!!! I chose a seedless Washington navel and tisk tisk, planted it in straight potting soil!! I know, I know....IT"S A CARDiNAL SIN!! LMAO!! But this weekend it will be coming back out and repotted. That tree believe it or not has done pretty darn well.

Our summer has been HOT and dry. We have finally caught up on the rains so now more than ever it needs repotting.

My question for the ORo Blanco growers is, How long will it take for these fruits to ripen? I chose this variety for a reason. It was described as not needing the high heat levels to ripen the fruits. I don't worry about that too much as it will go right back under the 600 watt HPS light.

So maybe another 4 months or so? I just hope the HPS is enough to keep the fruits tasting like the sweet grapefruits I am hoping for, and not a sour lemon!

Take care everyone, and Mike, I hope that foot is healing up for ya!

Andrew

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Hey, Andrew. First, congrats on winning the citrus contest at Four Winds. Dang, didn't know they even had a contest, pooh. Will have to watch for the next one. Well, Oro Blanco. One of our top grapefruit hybrid choices where I live, along with it's first cousin, Melogold (which I actually prefer a wee bit over Oro Blanco), and the not to miss Cocktail, which is heavenly, sweet, no bitter aftertaste and has the same growing requirements as the first two. My Oro Blanco which is in the ground ripens between January and March, depending upon weather conditions, but tends to be sweeter the longer I leave it on the tree, so I usually star picking them in March. If they're not sweet enough, I wait another few weeks. They hold really well on the tree.

Patty S.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 3:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Andrew Scott

Thanks Patty,
I almost bought the Cocktail but I didn't like all the seeds the fruit I ate had. I bought some again just to see if the fruit I ate was just seedier than the others but again, they were VERY seedy so I went with the ORo.

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Andrew

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
Why is my orange growing so wrinkly
The new growth on my orange tree is all light green...
csanadkocsis
Fertilising in Gritty mix
Hello everyone, OK, this may be a really basic question,...
bopwinter
Questions about repotting container grown citrus
Hi all, I am a complete newbie but I have taken great...
emilygreenie
Gold Nugget in container sour!
This is the first year for fruits. I had high hopes...
happygarden168
Help! I think my 2 yr old lemon tree is in shock!
This plant was doing fine until I trimmed off a huge...
olly805
Sponsored Products
Mix Tape Throw Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Cook N Home 11 Quart Juicer Steamer Stainless
Overstock.com
64" Treated Pine Crossback Swingbed
Fifthroom.com
Area Rug: Quincy Keywork Taupe 2' 6" x 3' 10"
$25.97 | Home Depot
Black and White Story Five-Light Pendant in Black Satin Lacquer Finish
Bellacor