Cyathea dealbata available in USA?

leean_gardenerApril 9, 2007

My boyfriend fell in love with the Ponga fern (cyathea dealbata) while visiting New Zealand and now I would like to buy it for him. I am having a hard time finding it, however. Is it for sale in the USA and if so, is it strictly an outdoor plant or could it be grown in a terrarium? Thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shiollie(z5 MI)

I didnt have much luck finding it in the States either, but I did find this. (link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Tree Ferns/Ponga

Bookmark   April 11, 2007 at 1:14PM
houstonpat(9a)

Although it would take a while you could grow them from spores. You might try the LAIFS sale Labor Day weekend.

Bookmark   April 14, 2007 at 11:25PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
If you do find a source would you share the info. ?? Cant't find anything locally except Australian lol
Would think they would do well in a terraium but what about the 6 meters tall with an equal spread?? That would be one large terrarium lol gary

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 6:42AM
stephenpope2000uk(Brighton, UK)

All tree ferns are strictly 'outdoor plants'...assuming you live in a virtually frost-free part of the country. But with the cooler temperate New Zealand varieties, like Cyathea dealbata, that would also have to mean fairly cool summers as well - surely a contradiction in terms for most of the US that offers the necessary mild winter conditions. You guys can't win! So, for many people in the US, that leaves a cool and humid glasshouse or plant-orientated conservatory as the only way of maintaining tender tree ferns all year round.

Cyathea dealbata is not an easy tree fern to home-propagate unless you have access to freshly harvested spore. I've never heard of anybody succeeding with seed catalogue stock - although plenty of other species are possible via this route, I guess the viability for dealbata spore is too short for the turnaround of the mainstream distributors. A bare pot that never germinates is the only reward for all that time and effort. As for the terrarium option: they are easy to kill with over-watering, poor drainage and insufficient ventilation...everything that an inexperienced terrarium grower would inevitably run into. The other side of the coin is that a healthy dealbata sporeling would, hypothetically, outgrow any terrarium within a season or two...and then what would you do with it?

To source a ready-made garden specimen (assuming you have the climate) I'd be looking at Vancouver Island nurseries and seeing if there was any practical way of shipping a potted-up dealbata youngster from British Columbia back into the US. Can it be done with your red tape?

Bookmark   May 10, 2007 at 6:23AM
stephenpope2000uk(Brighton, UK)

Just thinking about the terrarium question one more time: it's not practical. Given the 'wingspan', and the flat low-lying frond characteristics of all the Cyatheas when small, you could barely maintain even one plant at a time in your terrarium - they'd be insufficient light or room for anything else to share the tank. And a shared community terrarium wouldn't easily allow you to progressively reduce the humidity to harden off the Cyathea prior to growing it on outside - the other little plants in there might crisp up. Try and find a garden specimen up North over the border and get it shipped down to you.

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 4:38AM
More Discussions
Rescuing wilting Holly Fern
I'm struggling to grow my Japanese holly fern in my...
fieldofflowers
Decidedly Unhappy Moss
Hey all I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Here, we...
JasonFourie514
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
Reviving sphagnum
I've been trying to revive my sphagnum moss using dried...
David146
Asplenum nidus with new fronds or new stems?
Two years ago they gave me two small Asplenium nidus...
Baobab
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™