variegated christmas cactus

marquest(z5 PA)October 24, 2011

I remember a discission awhile back about a variegated CC. This is a pic of one I have that appeared to be variegated. This year it does not appear to be variegated. I wonder if variegated CC are not a stable variegation.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hey, Marquest! Nice pic!

I remember the discussion. Like the plant in the original discussion, yours is not a Christmas Cactus
but a Thanksgiving Cactus, which can be seen in the pointed leaf-margins. Not sure what's up
with the variegation on yours. Maybe Meyer Mike can give us an update on his variegated TC.

Still we seek the elusive variegated Christmas Cactus....

Josh

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 3:22PM
gmaculata(5)

I have seen plants that look like this offered as variegated a few times. If it has lost the variegation it was not truly variegated. It was likely deficient in a needed nutrient.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 4:20PM
marquest(z5 PA)

Thanks Josh.

gmaculata, I think you are right. It just goes to the fact even when you purchase from a so called reputable nursery you can get a plant that has not received the best care.

This was the first Holiday cactus I purchased. There was a name but I did not keep the info. I picked this one because the leaves were so pretty. LOL

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 4:45PM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

It is a beautiful TC...sorry it didn't turn out to be the true variegated variety.

Yes, Josh is right! We're still looking for the elusive Variegated Christmas Cactus. Soon...I hope!

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 6:04PM
cactusmcharris

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 12:53AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Nice Dog Jeff!! Pretty variegated ?? plant you have as well.

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 8:28AM
ssk22

I remember there were Thanksgiving ,Christmas and Easter cactus..everything is pretty much Christmas now. Never saw a variegated one. The ones I have are the old Christmas cactus. Long more slender leaves, less notched.hardly ever bloom,not like the ones you get today, just before the holiday. Full of flowers. Oh well......
Sharon

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 8:53AM
emerald1951

Hi...
ssk22...do you ever keep your cc in a cool place for a while....I take mine outside for the summer north side of house and now it is in my garage until just before it will freeze out there then I bring it in the house and it will load up with flowers....maybe your down stairs is cool and you could put it down there for a while....good luck....linda

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 9:39AM
ssk22

Linda,
No I never take them outside,I hate the creepy crawlers that take up residence in the pots. I know my big one is at least twenty years old and not so much as a bud.I did just repot it this summer,thinking it would help.how long do they need to be in the colder temps to set buds? It's probably too late this season . Thanks for the help. I will try it next year.
Sharon

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 9:58AM
keystonecrossroads(Zone 5B)

It isn't the temps that induce budding so much as the short days/ long night treatment. If you can put them in a place where they don't get any light after dark for two to three weeks, they should bud up for you. Even five footcandles of light will prevent them from blooming.

I have twenty seedlings that I just gave the treatment too, and I am starting to see the little balls form on the end of the phylloclades. Can't wait to see them bloom!

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 1:43PM
birdsnblooms

Marquest, I see quite a bit of variegation on your TC.
Very nice..

Hey Pug!!!!! HI! I too am still looking for a variegated CC/TC/EC. As soon as I saw Marquest's TC, I flew to Ebay..no luck. Not even a seed. lol.
When you say, 'we're looking,' I'm sure you mean several others here on GW. lol. We ARE still looking.

Has anyone ever seen a true, Variegated Holiday Cactus w/deep variegation? Or is it a myth? Toni

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 4:53PM
ssk22

Keystone,
Mine are on end tables under lamps that are on every night.no wonder...thanks,I will move them and see what happens.
Sharon

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 4:53PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

I vote Myth.

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 6:09PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I've only seen Meyer Mike's variegated Thanksgiving Cactus...

Josh

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
Roots growing out of echeveria stem
I have a bunch of struggling succulents... In a move,...
fergline
Crassula ovata rot?
Okay so I was given a large cutting last Thursday and...
Hamza Nobes
New to growing cactus, leaf withering?
Hi all! I bought this mini cactus plant last Wednesday,...
s_tomato
Sometimes rot ends well
Here are some pics of a jade that started as a chunk...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
How to use excess sedum seedlings?
I purchased seed for Red Carpet Sedum, in preparation...
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™