What mushroom is this?

joe_sc_gardenMay 29, 2013

I have a raised vegetable garden and over watered one area that doesn't get much direct sun light.

I've since noticed these mushrooms in that area.. they don't seem to have any root system when pulled up. They're light brown to brown, jelly / cup like mushrooms..

I've since stopped watering this area, but I want to know what mushroom these are... and if they're toxic.

Thanks!

This post was edited by joe_sc_garden on Wed, May 29, 13 at 15:22

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feethanddooth

i have the same things in 3 new beds i made this year. the one i made last year doesnt have them so i assume it came from the soil.

in one bed it was all over the base of my new strawberry plant. so much that i decided to pull it out. then in another bed it did the same thing to a young squash plant.

now i have them in the third bed and they are near the base of my kale plants.

ugh :(

i have no idea what they or or if they are going to destroy my garden this year. im fearful

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 6:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

A type of cup fungi, perhaps Peziza. It's not uncommon to find these on wood or straw mulch, or soil that has been amended with manure, or just on rich soil in general. They are decomposers and shouldn't harm plants. The reason you can't eliminate them by pulling is the cups are just the fruiting bodies. Most of the fungus is living in the wood breaking it down.

People generally don't eat these and there are many species, so little is known about edibility. I've never heard of poisoning from them. If I had them in my raised beds it wouldn't bother me, though I might take out the cups if they looked unattractive.

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
Type of wood for growing shitake mushrooms
Hi, I ordered a bunch of mushroom plugs (shitake) from...
mooserider
selling moss
I have been picking moss for a well sized moss distributor...
trista28
Platyceriums for a cool, but frost-free climate?
Hi, I'm just curious whether people have suggestions...
mark4321_gw
Looking for unusual Maidenhair Ferns
Can anyone help me find a good reliable source (US)...
atravers
Rescuing wilting Holly Fern
I'm struggling to grow my Japanese holly fern in my...
fieldofflowers
Sponsored Products
Artist Studio Mushroom and Green Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$712.20 | Bellacor
Justice Design Group FSN-8702 - Aero 2 Light Bath Bar - Square Flared Shade - Po
$300.00 | Hayneedle
Justice Design Group GLA-8911 - Capellini 1 Light Wall Sconce - Tapered Cylinder
$290.00 | Hayneedle
Designers Fountain Gala 86089 9-Light Chandelier - 86089-ARS
$898.00 | Hayneedle
Global Amici Sonora Hiball Glass - Set of 4 - 7MCR711S4R
$27.66 | Hayneedle
Kraus KBU23-KPF2220-KSD30 Double Basin Undermount Kitchen Sink with Faucet - KBU
$469.95 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™