Should I keep this Moro Blood Orange

dancer40(9)August 24, 2011

I have had for maybe 2 months or more. The squirrels got some of the leaves, but it was on clearance when I got it and the top leaves have been flopped over for a while. Not sure what the problem is. I am a novice gardener so sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Here is a link that might be useful: blood orange

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dancer40(9)

I have fed it some citrus food. The stuff on the leaves if you can see it is remnants of cayenne pepper spray I used to deter the squirrels from it. I was going to put it in a larger container, but it hasn't grown much just seems the same-hasn't lost any leaves... It was on clearance at Home Depot when I got it, maybe I should have not purchased it...

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 3:03PM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

I would love if our Home depots carried blood oranges. they always seem to carry the typical lemons and limes. It appears to pretty healthy to me. Unless you dont have the time and money to take care of it, I would for sure keep it. Citrus grow in cycles. When nothing is happening on top they are usually growing new roots. Get it a bigger pot and put it in a well draining mix, no topsoil and nothing with a lot of peat.

Nice tree.

Mike

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 3:13PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

It looks great, Dancer! Nice and healthy. I would just pot it up in a larger container. There is a great recipe for "gritty mix" on this forum, which makes for excellent container mix. And, perhaps you can put some chicken wire around it until it gets a bit bigger, to discourage the squirrels. I love blood oranges, Moros are very nice, and are the darkest of all the blood oranges. It's a keeper in my book.

Patty S.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 3:16PM
dancer40(9)

Thanks guys! I will repot it when it cools off a bit. Its in the upper 80's here. Sorry it wasn't Home Depot it was Lowes .

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 5:11PM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

You know what I recognized the label because our lowes carried the same ones. Only problem is they only had kumquat, meyer lemon, limquat and a type of orange that I dont remember. Wasnt blood orange though or I would own one.

Mike.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 5:22PM

Yes, Duarte Growers are a reputable company, and provide quite a bit of citrus for Lowe's, Home Depot and Costco around here. And dancer, if you copy the .html code right into the body of your message, the photo will appear right in your message. Better than a link :-) And I've got some things to pot up too, but it's in the mid-80's here today, and slated to hit high 80's tomorrow. Plus it's humid. We must be getting some monsoon weather pushing up from the Gulf of Mexico. Hate this muggy hot stuff we get here occasionally. Ugh. Time to flip on the air conditioner, bummer!

Patty S.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 5:30PM
dancer40(9)

That's a good tip about the photos let me try to post one of my dwarf meyer lemon I got from Armstrong
August 24, 2011

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 5:48PM
dancer40(9)
    Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 5:52PM

Nice Meyer, dancer!

Patty S.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
thatadeniumguy
Citrus cuttings
I have a cutting growing from a dwarf tangerine. What...
tim45z10
Phoenix Orange Tree Watering Schedule/Setup
All, I just moved into a house with an orange tree...
Andrew McCabe
Mexican Lemon
There is not much about this tree even here. Does anyone...
Frank Car
Sponsored Products
Diamond Illusion Pillow Cover in Orange
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Small Orange Shadow Box
$229.00 | FRONTGATE
Geometric Twist Indoor/Outdoor Rug 2'3" x 4'6" - ORANGE
$59.00 | Horchow
Modern Orange Narrow Zig Zag Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag
Lamps Plus
Stilo 10 Bronze Three-Light Mini Pendant with Vanilla Matte Glass
$576.00 | Bellacor
Porto Pendant
Lightology
Smart & Green | Cube 17 LED Indoor Outdoor Lamp
$299.00 | YLighting
Autumn Stripe Corded Outdoor Pillows with Sunbrella Fabric (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™