HELP! My Boston Ferns are drowning!

debmarieMay 14, 2007

Almost overnight, my Boston ferns went from gorgeous and full to wilty and looking awful. My first thought was not enough water, but I soon realized that they were soaking wet due to the water not draining from their pots. A man, (who is a supposed fern guru), told me to let them dry out, then water them with a solution of 1 tablespoon of epsom salt, 1 tablespoon of household amonia and a little bit of miracle grow to a gallon of water. Has anyone ever heard of doing this? I am almost willing to try it, but thought I would run it by some of you first.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boomvaren

Hallo debmarie,
As I understand it, your fern stands in a pot. The thing I would do is put it in a bigger pot and plant it in peat. Because your plant is totally soaked with water, don't water it for a few days after replanting. The new layer of peat around the old soil will act like a sponge. Don't forget to put some gravel on the bottom of the pot, it will give you better drainage in the future.
Bye,
Danny

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 8:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botanybabe

Better yet, plant it in a pot with drainage holes. If the roots are black and stinky, don't bother. Throw it out and start over. Most ferns, even the old Boston fern, need excellent drainage.

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
Sphagnum moss problem
This happened once before when it got too hot but this...
cooperdr_gw
Unknown Fern ID
I had this fern sprout in a pot with another plant....
foxd
Platycerium madagascariense updates
Just showing a few forms of this interesting group...
RainforestGuy
Rabbit Foot Fern dropping fronds
I have a rabbit foot fern, Davailla sp., that has been...
gill_bo_baggins
Sphagnum moss update!
Frozen Sphagnum Moss- the tiny bit of purple in there...
cooperdr_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™