Overgrown Staghorn

plabMay 9, 2010

I bought 2 staghorns that have been grown in a small hanging plastic pot and as you can see from the photo the sterile fronds have completely enveloped it. I would like to cut out the pot if at all possible and replant it in a coco lined basket but am not sure I can do it without hurting the plant and I have no idea how to go about it. Should I try or is it fine to leave it as it is? These are my first staghorns so I want to be careful. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Staghorn photo at ImageShack

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstonpat(9a)

Using a sharp knife split the plastic pot in half. Carefully remove as much of the plastic as practicle. One of many ways to re-mount them is to plant each half in the top of a coco fiber basket, packing long strand sphagnum moss around the top and stablize the setup by tying the plant and moss into the fiber basket with ~ 10 lb fishing line. Water as normal place in good ventilation, 50% shade and enjoy.

Bookmark   May 9, 2010 at 8:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plab

Thanks for the help! I think I'll try it on one of the pots this weekend and see how it goes. I love your dove shot. We are just south of Houston and have enjoyed many a dove nesting in our pots.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Doradilla? Fem Scale?
So I was in this Mexican market and found something...
cooperdr_gw
ID needed: Is this a Rabbit's Foot Fern?
Hi all, I found this nice little fern growing in 1...
bobochacha
Is this a moss / lichen / ???
Hello all, I picked this (attached picture) up along...
pessimizt
Where to purchase Platycerium madagascariense?
I've been growing epiphytes for years but I'm having...
epiphyteoahu808
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™