boston ferns and birds

lovethosepalms(z6 ky)May 23, 2008

I have two hanging Boston ferns on my front porch, and I can't keep the birds from building nest in them. Everyday I have to toss the new nesting materical out. Is there anything I can get to put in the fern to keep the bird out. Everyday it is a big mess.

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

Check with your local nurseries to see if they handle bird netting. It's a coarse netted plastic material, usually green, that berry and fruit growers use to prevent bird damage to their fruit. You will only need to leave it on the ferns for a short time, until the nesting season is over.
My Boston ferns are on tall pedestals in the garden, near the patio. Occasionally, there will be a bird nest in one of them, but I have a large number of shrubs, small trees and vines that they prefer, so it hasn't been an ongoing problem. The ferns aren't near a traffic area, so I never bother the birds.
One year I had a Mourning Dove build a nest on the window ledge of an upstairs bathroom. During that year, they raised three broods in that nest and I thought they were going to try for a fourth, but they gave up and went away. Interestingly, you could stand at the window and look them in the eyes and they never flinched. Somehow, they knew that I presented no danger to them.
Rb

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 2:53AM
More Discussions
Deer Ferns have turned "Brown"
I have 2 deer ferns in containers on my shaded deck....
gardenbug
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Asplenum nidus with new fronds or new stems?
Two years ago they gave me two small Asplenium nidus...
Baobab
Decidedly Unhappy Moss
Hey all I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Here, we...
JasonFourie514
ID for Winter Mushrooms?
Please see the Flickr link below if you think you might...
vmr423
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™