Not sure what I bought, please help...

Jen26(USDA zone 6/MO)May 4, 2005

I bought the cutest little fern last weekend, but it was poorly labeled. It said something like "Dice Wood Fern" though I couldn't be sure. Any idea what this might be? I wish I could describe it but my fern vocabulary is nonexistent. I guess I could say it doesn't look like my ostrich fern, it is a darker green and the "leaves" are rounder. Also, if there is such a thing as a dice wood fern, what can you tell me about it's care and culture? It said nothing on the label. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
razorback33(z7)

May be Dixie Wood Fern, Dryopteris x australis. A sterile hybrid between Log Fern, Dryopteris celsa and Southern Wood Fern, Dryopteris ludoviciana. Grows to 3-5' tall, reqires shade and moist soil, Some say hardy to Zone 5, others Zone 6 or 7. It is native throughout the south and as far north as MD. Photo on link below.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Dryopteris x australis

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 1:35AM
karinl(BC Z8)

If you could post a photo it would be easier... or get a fern book from the library, or look at the fern display at nurseries.

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 10:19AM
ladybugontario(z5 Ontario)

Razorback: Sorry I'm so late...just noticed your post.

Perhaps you have a Jimmy Dyce Broad Wood Fern (Dryopteris dilatata 'Jimmy Dyce'. This is an English cultivar; hardy to zones 4-8; broad triangular bluish-green stiff upright fronds; grows 24-48 inches. I haven't tried this particular fern, but they're quite handsome.

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 1:19PM

Sorry, Razorback. I meant to address Jen26 with my response re the Jimmy Dyce Broad Wood Fern.

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 1:32PM
Jen26(USDA zone 6/MO)

Ladybugontario...that is EXACTLY what I bought! Thank you so much!!!!!

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 2:29PM

Jen26....Lucky you! I tried 4 D. dilatatas just last year, although they are not 'Jimmy Dyce'. All 4 are doing wonderfully well. Zone 5 - cold winters, pretty hot humid summers, lots of compost, water every 4 days, growing happily in the shade of a very large sugar maple. Their fine leathery foliage is a beautiful contrast to Ostrich, Marginal Wood, Royal, and 'Ghost' Athyrium ferns. Over winter, I mulched them heavily with finely shredded leaves. In spring, I opened the leaves up a bit to let the sun in, but mixed the leaves right into the soil where they had over-wintered. These ferns were the last of my many ferns to show new spring growth, and just when I was starting to fret, up they popped! Very tiny fiddleheads. Right now, they are gorgeous. Enjoy!

Bookmark   June 18, 2005 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
Asplenum nidus with new fronds or new stems?
Two years ago they gave me two small Asplenium nidus...
Baobab
Foxtail Fern growing, but strangely.
This fall, about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I brought my foxtail...
SequoiaMatt99
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
Doradilla? Fem Scale?
So I was in this Mexican market and found something...
cooperdr_gw
Bird's Nest Fern with yellowing leaves and white dots
Hi there, We've had our Bird's Nest Fern (Asplenium...
pkozul
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™