Ferns for full sun?

greenlarry(UK 8/9)June 6, 2008

We're used to ferns being associated with damp shady places tho mine get some sun. But most of my garden is in full sun most of the day and i was wondering if there any ferns that naturally grow in such a situation. Trouble is when it rains here it rains but then the sun comes out and its roasting(like today!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrestrial_man(9)

Hi Larry,
Roasting in England? Must be around Hillsborough where it is in the mid 70F (24+C) otherwise England is in the mid to high 60s F into the 50sF!!
Do not want to recommend any alien species though you know that Boston Fern can handle it!! But here is a link to one native species that just might do ok in the sun if it received some misting during the mid day. Otherwise I would stick to Osmunda regalis (even though I have one of these in shade) as being the most tolerant of sun as a native species.
Check out this site BPS

Here is a link that might be useful: Hard Shield Fern

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 4:21PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Hi Jerry,i'll check out those links.cheers.
As for climate,well i'm on the other side of the country to Hillsborough which is in Liverpool. I'm in county durham,north east. And tho weatheer sites may give those figures i can tell you than when the sun comes out it gets hot! A lot hotter than 60F!

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 4:57PM
esh_ga

Of the US native ferns, Thelypteris kunthii is the one I have that can handle sun. It is regularly recommended by a southern gardening magazine just for that reason.

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 10:12PM
terrestrial_man(9)

What is your humidity like with the hotter weather?
Today it has been in the low 70sF with around 38% humidity.
The Boston Ferns out in the sun get bleached out looking but are alike though yellowish. It is a challenge to mist the mosses and selaginellas and lycopods often during such days. And with a 10-12 MPH wind dessication can be a threat. But even though the fern would be in full sun you can mitigate the impact of exposure by placement and cultural tactics such as misting.
I can definitely appreciate HOT as that is how it feels when the sun sits on your skin here!

Bookmark   June 7, 2008 at 10:17PM
houstonpat(9a)

Many species in the Cheilanthes genus are sun tollerant. You can also grow Platycerium veitchii in the sun. I grow veitchii in Houston where it's hot as blazes in full sun till about 2PM.
Platycerium veitchii

Psilotun nudum, a fern family.

And the ultimate sun fern Sadleria :) Good luck

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 12:54AM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Some really neat ferns there Pat! That Psilotum is a fern? Looks like a succulent,like a Crassula!
Neat Platy there,very cool! And that last one,growing there on bare rock,reminded me of a tropical palm on a beach! Amazing stuff!
Jerry,i have no idea of The humidity here or how to measure it!

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 5:02AM
terrestrial_man(9)

Larry,
Check the link below for weather in your area. You will see a map with city names. to get humidity etc click on the name of the city for a new window with humidity etc readings.
The Psilotum is not a fern but a fern-ally.
While it can endure direct sun it is really at home in shaded spots which are also coolish but not cold and lots of humidity!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Weather North East England

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 2:29PM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Well Jerry i checked for Newcastle which s the nearest to me and it says 72% humidity! That seems high!

Here is a link that might be useful: Newcastle's Weather

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 4:21PM
houstonpat(9a)

Psilotum or "wisk ferns" aren't really ferns they're fern allies. At least I'm pretty sure that's what that is. When some plants grow in the sun they get stunted etc. There's lots of xerophytic ferns that might grow in sunny England.

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
ID needed: Is this a Rabbit's Foot Fern?
Hi all, I found this nice little fern growing in 1...
bobochacha
Foxtail Fern growing, but strangely.
This fall, about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I brought my foxtail...
SequoiaMatt99
Volunteer ID
I had this volunteer in a pot and I'd like to put it...
biinaboo
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
selling moss
I have been picking moss for a well sized moss distributor...
trista28
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™