mushroom fungus removal forever?

marcincon(z5/6 MA)June 19, 2006

After tremendous amounts of rain we always get alot of fungus - massive cream colored powdery stuff similar to baking mix or vomit that measures approx from 2 inches up to 12 inches - mostly grows on top of mulch. I understand these are also called mushrooms. Is there a way to avoid getting these? We simply scrape them off with no problem. We have alot of pine trees surruonding our house and do get alot of regular looking mushrooms too but not in the mulch. Should we add lime to the mulch? Looking forward to advice. I will post a picture in the 'name that plant' gallery.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Your harmless 'slime mold' (not a mold or a fungus) can be avoided if you stop using organic mulches completely. Since that is not a good option for your soil or plants, I suggest that you simply scrape them away if they offend you.

Lime would not be the solution....1) it wouldn't prevent the organism from growing and 2) it could change the pH of your soil.

Mushrooms coming out of the ground, by the way, are a sign that important decomposition is happening under the soil surface, AND that an exceedingly beneficial relationship may be taking place between the fungus organism and the roots of your trees (and other plants). Mushrooms are a good thing.

    Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 11:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

You could buy treated mulch so that this does not happen, or plastic mulch, maybe even shredded rubber. The reason this is happening is because you live in an area with a high level of spores for this fungus or bacteria , Maybe you could try different types of orgainic mulch to see if it hinders this from happening, different trees have different compounds to fight off different decomposers, but personally I would recomend just leaving it, it helps provide your plants with nutrients.

    Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 12:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Ummm, brendan...slime mold is neither a fungus NOR a bacteria. The organism is ubiquitous in all but the most sterile of environments....which would not be healthy for human nor beast....nor plant, lol.

There is no reason to do anything but rake the area to disturb it. Prevention should not even be a consideration. Plastic mulch? Yikes.

    Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 2:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botanybabe

Slime molds are really fascinating. I've seen two this spring, one yellow, and one pink. They have several stages they go through and each one is really interesting. Why not watch them and learn?

Lainey

    Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 11:51PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
ID needed: Is this a Rabbit's Foot Fern?
Hi all, I found this nice little fern growing in 1...
bobochacha
Rabbit Foot Fern dropping fronds
I have a rabbit foot fern, Davailla sp., that has been...
gill_bo_baggins
Bird's Nest Fern with yellowing leaves and white dots
Hi there, We've had our Bird's Nest Fern (Asplenium...
pkozul
Where to purchase Platycerium madagascariense?
I've been growing epiphytes for years but I'm having...
epiphyteoahu808
Platyceriums for a cool, but frost-free climate?
Hi, I'm just curious whether people have suggestions...
mark4321_gw
Sponsored Products
Textured Lines Rug 8' x 10' - MEDIUM GRAY
$2,599.00 | Horchow
Mushrooms Salt & Pepper Shakers
$5.49 | zulily
Concrete Anchor Set For Alpa Mushroom/2, Adegan Ple Fix by SLV
$124.00 | Lumens
Abbey Silver Sand Three-Light Semi-Flush
$90.00 | Bellacor
Mushroom Tiffany Roses Dragonfly Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Black Mushroom Outdoor Landscape Path Light
$83.91 | Lamps Plus
Green Matters 2-Light Flush-Mount Brushed Nickel Large Mushroom Fixture HD-406
$48.12 | Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Artistic Weavers Rugs Pulsu Sienna 3 ft. x 12 ft.
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™