Alfafa Mulch and Ferns?

ak0402June 26, 2006

Well, I have a 2-climate garden. In my front yard, I have open southeast exposure where roses just thrive (z5b). In my back yard, I have northwest exposure, with mostly full shade and some dappled light (z5b). At any time of the year, there's a 10-15 degree temperature difference between the front and the back. In the backyard I have ferns. For my front yard roses I regularly use alfafa meal (very popular on the Gardenweb's Roses Forum), which is fantastic for the roses. It's a mulch, it keeps the soil from drying out, and it's a mild fertilizer too. Since I have to buy alfafa meal in 50-lb. bags, I have plenty of it. Can I spread it around the ferns too?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botanybabe

Hi akchicago,

I have the same growing conditions that you do. I also grow ferns and hostas in my northerly side. I know a lot of hosta growers use the alfalfa meal. I wouldn't think it would hurt ferns, I can't imagine that it would, except that ferns really don't need much in the way of fertilizers. They usually do well in relatively poor soils. I'm not sure what extra fertilizer would do for them.

I subscribe to the old motto, "If it's not broken, don't fix it."

Lainey

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Type of wood for growing shitake mushrooms
Hi, I ordered a bunch of mushroom plugs (shitake) from...
mooserider
Looking for unusual Maidenhair Ferns
Can anyone help me find a good reliable source (US)...
atravers
Can someone help me ID this fern?
Hi, I purchased this fern 2 years ago from eBay. They...
odysseos
Foxtail Fern growing, but strangely.
This fall, about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I brought my foxtail...
SequoiaMatt99
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this but excited to learn more. I was...
momo034
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™