Dicksonia Antarctica

kirkhamgatesJune 2, 2007

Last September I spotted a 4ft. Dicksonia Antarctica in my local B & Q standing in a pot, without any frongs. The garden manager told me, it was the last of a bunch that had all been sold. In his opinion it had died and would be shortly thrown out. He assured me the tree had been healthy with plenty of leaves, but they had died back. From this I thought maybe lack of water (I have seen the staff squirt the hosepipe around and some plants get it and some don't) So I took a chance at a low price, planted it in my garden and continually sprayed it until winter, when I covered the crown with sawdust and bubblewrap. I took off the 'cap' in spring and continued with the water spraying when it was dry. So far nothing (2nd. june) Any suggestions please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
While they are hardier than most tree ferns .Temps much below freezing will probably be fatal. If the ground actually froze I'd say it's gone.
Should definitely be up and growing by now gary

Bookmark   June 3, 2007 at 7:35AM
houstonpat(9a)

Avoid putting debris in the crown or water in the crown. It's a good way to develop the fatal Rhizoctinia disease.

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 4:40PM
a_starr

I have two tree ferns which were starting to shoot when we got that icy blast last April. The new growth was obviously burned black although the plant did try to grow these blackened stumps. All I have now is two plants which are looking very sorry for themselves, with the remnants of the growth in 2011, which I had left until they are now totally brown.

Have I lost them do you think, or will they surprise me and 'regenerate' in the spring? We live in Cornwall which is pretty temperate and am hoping to take them with me when I move.

Reading a post by footfullofbindis, they would appear to be pretty indistructible......but I'm unsure... I have had them 8 years and they have survived happily before.

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 10:58AM
tropicbreezent

In habitat they go through bushfires and drought. But usually they're in a more protected place with constant dampness around the roots. Taking that long to recover doesn't look good. From what you say they've been through one summer without any signs of recovery. It'd be no problem to wait until your next summer and see, but I wouldn't be overly hopeful. It's surprising that in Cornwall it'd get cold enough to get that much damage, they do grow at higher altitudes where there's snow.

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 8:17PM
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

I had some luck with putting "dead" ferns in the hot compost bin. They begin to grow again and can be replanted later. The heat is like a spa for ferns.

Bookmark   January 12, 2013 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
Asplenum nidus with new fronds or new stems?
Two years ago they gave me two small Asplenium nidus...
Baobab
Deer Ferns have turned "Brown"
I have 2 deer ferns in containers on my shaded deck....
gardenbug
Is this a moss / lichen / ???
Hello all, I picked this (attached picture) up along...
pessimizt
Foxtail Fern growing, but strangely.
This fall, about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I brought my foxtail...
SequoiaMatt99
Decidedly Unhappy Moss
Hey all I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Here, we...
JasonFourie514
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™