My Little visitor on my Satsuma

Randy31513(Georgia 8b)August 26, 2012

Orange dogs were here a couple of weeks ago. A true beauty and the beast.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Bummer. This is one of those difficult situations. Do you leave it and let it eat away at the leaves so it can become a beautiful Swallowtail butterfly, or, well, do you dispatch with it? I saw my first Swallowtail butterfly in my yard yesterday, we don't normally seem to have them here where I live. Mainly Monarchs (which defoliate my Asclepias, but that's what I plant Asclepias for), and the Gulf Frittilary (which defoliate my passaflora, but again, I plant several varieties, so we can "share", lol!) But, I think I might draw the line on my citrus. Haven't found one of these, yet, but no doubt they're in my yard, too.

Patty S.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 6:17PM
timrod98(8)

I had no idea that's what they were. I found 2 on one citrus plant a few months ago ( several over the past few years). Is it possible to just put them on some less important plant or do they love only citrus?

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 12:00AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

You can try, Tim. I would Google Swallowtail butterfly, and see what other host plants they like that are other than your citrus.

Patty S.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 1:04AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

These spectacular butterflies (largest in NA) will only use certain plants in the Rutaceae family. This includes all citrus as well as such plants as prickly ash, Hercules club, hop tree, and others.

I grow seedling citrus expressly to enjoy the life cycle so I can speak with experience when I say that even one of these interesting caterpillars can do some damage to a SMALL tree. It's a big guy.....they eat a lot.

I can also tell you that they have many natural enemies....birds, wasps (who will actively seek and hunt for caterpillars amongst the foliage), assassin bugs, mantids, and more.

Have you 'petted ' that caterpillar, yet? You've got to do that!

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 7:55AM
Randy31513(Georgia 8b)

I leave them alone Patty. They don't seem to eat much. As Rhizo posted, i think the birds get most of them. They are also called bird poot butterflies since they look like bird droppings.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 12:35PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Attached is a little YouTube video of what happens when you 'pet' an orangedog caterpillar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clickee

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
New growth still light greenish
I recently acquired 2 page oranges and one has had...
sgreer13
Sour orange cutting
The second of four cuttings I tried is showing new...
tim45z10
Cuban Shaddock, a dwarfing rootstock? I doubt it
It is difficult to find information about this rootstock...
axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
Fertilising in Gritty mix
Hello everyone, OK, this may be a really basic question,...
bopwinter
New Oro Blanco
We hit 99 degrees today and my newly planted Oro blanco...
evdesert 9B Indio, CA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™