? Mushrooms in the grass. A bad thing?

birdtalker(z7WA)June 24, 2006

We had a spell of about 2 years when large mushrooms were coming up in the back yard. We had lost a tree and I figured the roots were decomposing. Now we have tiny mushrooms coming up in the front yard, in an area where my husband added soil to the area many years ago. It is also the area where the ground dries out the most in summer, and we usually have a bare spot or two there in fall, after the dry spell. DH is death on mushrooms because "they kill the grass". Give me some advice please.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botanybabe

Most mushrooms live on dead or dying wood and dying roots, so it's hard to see how they could kill the grass. I suppose if the mycelium is really thick it could use nutrients that might otherwise be available to the grass, but I've not seen it happen. I get about three kinds of mushroom-type fungi coming up in my lawn and I always welcome them. They don't seem to hurt anything, and are always beautiful. I think it's a matter of taste. Lots of folks don't want ANYTHING in their lawn.

Lainey

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 11:39PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Sweep away the mushrooms. They are simply the fruiting body of decomposing organisms in the soil. They aren't killing the grass.

The mushrooms have nothing to do with why the ground dries out or why there are bare patches. The answers to those problems lie deeper within the soil.

Bookmark   June 24, 2006 at 11:40PM
birdtalker(z7WA)

I was thinking there might be some sawdust or something like that in those areas. You never know what you get when you buy 'topsoil' these days. I appreciate the mushrooms and they do not seem to do anyharm but the guys around the neighborhood have a lot of 'old wives tales' they believe in and have to have something to grouch about when a female has the greenest lawn on the block!

Bookmark   June 25, 2006 at 12:56AM
bobcat(z5 OH)

Leave them be. They are very much most likely beneficial to your lawn. They break down materials so the grass can make use of it. Their wastes are also good for the grass. Its not necessary for these processes that the mushies are left alone, but let the seed spread to the wind....

Bookmark   June 25, 2006 at 1:19AM
javern(5a)

you could always spray paint them purple and pretend they are big violets

Bookmark   June 30, 2006 at 9:25PM
More Discussions
Decidedly Unhappy Moss
Hey all I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Here, we...
JasonFourie514
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this but excited to learn more. I was...
momo034
Foxtail Fern growing, but strangely.
This fall, about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I brought my foxtail...
SequoiaMatt99
Doradilla? Fem Scale?
So I was in this Mexican market and found something...
cooperdr_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™