Cold hardness of Boston Ferns (Nephrolepis exaltata)?

treeguy123(AL 7b)June 3, 2008

Does anybody know the true in the ground cold hardness of a Nephrolepis exaltata? Specificaly Nephrolepis exaltata `Bostoniensis' if that matters.

I know Nephrolepis exaltata fronds are killed to the ground by frost during the winter in their northern Florida native range and then come back in the spring, but what is the coldest they can take when in the ground and still sprout back in the spring every year like so many native ferns do here?

I know for a fact they can grow in the ground in USDA 8a zone or down to around 13°F (-11.5°C) and still come back each year in the spring. But can they survive in USDA zone 7a/7b outside in the ground? Here in AL we get an average low each winter around 5 to 10°F (-15 to -12°C) but some years it can get down to around 0F (-18C).

I just thought it was strange that all the sources I've looked at show it hardy just to USDA zone 8b or 9 but it seems like they might could grow outside in the ground in colder zones such as 6 or 7 at least and come back from the ground each year.

Also does anybody know a online source to buy the exact original classic cultivar: Nephrolepis exaltata `Bostoniensis'? It seems like every single nursery and store sales all the cultivars of Nephrolepis exaltata, except `Bostoniensis'.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jc174

What do you mean by "in the ground cold hardness"? Or did you mean "hardiness"?

Cheers,

jc

Here is a link that might be useful: how to care for ferns

Bookmark   June 29, 2008 at 2:32PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Pretty obviously meant hardiness...in-ground versus container.

I can't answer the question, though.

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 9:40AM
treeguy123(AL 7b)

Yes, greenman28 is right, I was meaning in the ground, not in a container.
If a plant is left in a pot in the freezing winter, the roots can freeze easy and die, compared to in the ground were the roots are insulated much more from the cold.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
Platycerium madagascariense updates
Just showing a few forms of this interesting group...
RainforestGuy
Rabbit Foot Fern dropping fronds
I have a rabbit foot fern, Davailla sp., that has been...
gill_bo_baggins
Asplenum nidus with new fronds or new stems?
Two years ago they gave me two small Asplenium nidus...
Baobab
Do I need to trim back ferns?
Hi, I live in NW Georgia and we recently had a couple...
bevinga
selling moss
I have been picking moss for a well sized moss distributor...
trista28
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™