help id this lemon

encinomanAugust 23, 2010

Hi,

I could use some help ID'ing this lemon, and by extension the tree it came from. We live in Encino CA, and are not sure whether we have an old tree that's gone "bad" or some species we not familiar with.

All the fruits are hollow in the center and very thick skinned compared to store bought lemons. (see pic) As far as taste, its very mild, not very sweet or sour.

The tree is very thorny. The tree's newer branches seem to be growing longer (1 inch ) thorns. So part of this research is for figuring a pruning strategy.

thanks

Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: lemon picture

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)

Seems like the rootstock has takenover the grafted scion in your tree and hence you are seeing the extremely thorny branches and insipid fruit of the rootstock taking over the tree.
I suggest that you take a really close look at the bottom part of the trunk of your tree to figure out whether you have a graft line visible. Also check if there are two "types" of foliage and two types of fruit. If so, then the thornier part with the useless fruit (which I am assuming has taken over the tree) needs to be pruned to below the graft line. In time the scion will take over again and your tree might get healthy. On the other hand, you can get rid of the existing tree and make a fresh start to save time and effort. Keep us posted.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 10:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
citrange2

Yes, agree completely with ashleysf.
Looks to me like Rough Lemon (Citrus jambhiri)- often used as rootstock - has taken over. A google will give plenty of info on this variety.

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
Polyembryonic seeds
Hi to all I'm germinating some kumquat seeds and some...
swfx
Please share recents pic of your potted citrus with us.
Here is just a few of miine larger and smaller ones.. I...
meyermike_1micha
Questions about repotting container grown citrus
Hi all, I am a complete newbie but I have taken great...
emilygreenie
Fertilising in Gritty mix
Hello everyone, OK, this may be a really basic question,...
bopwinter
BUGS 17 :-)
HI all 16 had over 300 post so started this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Sponsored Products
Moonrays Path & Landscape Lights Cordova-Style Outdoor Gold Low-Voltage 20-Watt
$18.46 | Home Depot
Ellington Rug 8' x 10' - WHITE
$1,099.00 | Horchow
Sterling Finesse 5405-59-G72 59.625W x 58.3125H in. Grafite Glass Bath Door - 54
$677.99 | Hayneedle
Frigidaire 8,000 BTU White Window Air Conditioner and 1.7-pint Dehumidifier (Ref
Overstock.com
VintageView Big Bottle Wall Mounted Wine Rack - WS-BIG1-K
$80.00 | Hayneedle
WAC White Xenon 12" Wide Under Cabinet Light Bar
Euro Style Lighting
Slate Tile: MS International Flooring Peacock Pattern Gauged Slate Floor and
$2.99 | Home Depot
Melbourne Bar Stool Cushion
$133.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™