identify elongated colorful mushroom

new2zone9aJuly 7, 2010

Found this growing in my new garden in west central Florida this morning. Been here a year and this is the first I've seen it. We just had a week of hard rains. Temperature has ranged from the 70s to low 90s F. Last few days have been mostly overcast but sun is shining this morning, making this mushroom look like a glowstick. Exterior looks like a spongy substance and I think it must have popped out of a roundy structure which comes to just above ground. In picture it looks like a second one will pop out of its casing soon--see white object near colorful mushroom.

Any ideas? Stirfry?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

That's one of the many stinkhorn mushrooms. Many of them seem to emerge from an egg-like structure. Most people complain about their odor, which ranges from pungent to horrid. The ones that I have experienced have a very strong dead animal stench.

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 11:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
new2zone9a

stinkhorn. ha. i love it. thank you rhizo. mine must be a freshly showered variety. no smell at all that i noticed. i'm pretty sensitive to smells & i was up to it pretty close to get that photo. one more popped out the next day. this one was completely shriveled that night. they do not last long at all. only those two, haven't noticed another since.

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
Reviving sphagnum
I've been trying to revive my sphagnum moss using dried...
David146
ID for Winter Mushrooms?
Please see the Flickr link below if you think you might...
vmr423
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this but excited to learn more. I was...
momo034
Platyceriums for a cool, but frost-free climate?
Hi, I'm just curious whether people have suggestions...
mark4321_gw
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™