Scented Fern

anna_in_quebec(z4 QC)July 15, 2009

Does anyone know the name of a fern which when crushed smells like eucalyptus or vicks menthol. Thanks very much! I hope someone can help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
topie

Are you looking for a fern that grows wild in Canada? The first fern that comes to my mind is the Eastern hay-scented fern (Dennstaedtia punctilobula). I wouldn't call the smell eucalyptus-like...it smells sweeter to me...but maybe this is what you're thinking of...

Other possibilities (fern-like or have fern-ish looking foliage but are not actually ferns):

Common Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare): Tansy is native to Europe and Asia but was brought to North America by the British and Europeans. It now has naturalized (i.e. become a weed) throughout much of the U.S. and Canada. It has sort of fern-like foliage, and was believed to repel flies. It is still planted for repelling insects in spite of its noxious weed status in the U.S. The leaves have a strong scent when crushed which some people say smells like camphor mixed with rosemary.

Sweet fern (Comptonia peregrina): This is not actually a fern, but has a fern-like appearance. It is reported to have a scent when the leaves are crushed, but not sure what it smells like. Native to North America.

Salad Burnet (Sanguisorba minor): Native to Europe, and was brought to North America by the British. Some people say it smells like cucumber. Looks sort of like a native maidenhair fern.

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 1:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenlover25

Can you post a photo of your fern? To easily identify the name of it.

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 6:33AM
More Discussions
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
Decidedly Unhappy Moss
Hey all I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Here, we...
JasonFourie514
Moss FAQS: Propagation
Moss FAQS: Propagation Moss must continually make more...
deep_woods
Do I need to trim back ferns?
Hi, I live in NW Georgia and we recently had a couple...
bevinga
Sphagnum moss update!
Frozen Sphagnum Moss- the tiny bit of purple in there...
cooperdr_gw
Sponsored Products
LAFCO House and Home Bath Soap
Grandin Road
Ceramic Soy Candles
$49.50 | FRONTGATE
Bath Rug: Accent Rug: Traditional Deep Fern 24" x 40" Bathroom
$20.97 | Home Depot
Monterosa Candle by Missoni Home
$88.00 | Lumens
Salvi Petite Oil Warmer
| Dot & Bo