Coast Redwood seedling color

spartacus83March 25, 2012

I planted this 10 inch Coast Redwood seedling outside in November. I checked on it today and it seems to be doing ok but Ive noticed that the tips have turned brown and some of the foliage has become very dark. This is my first time growing these trees, I'm just wondering if its what they normally do during winter.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

could be some normal winter coloration ... complicated by transplant ... and some minor lack of water in winter ... due to the root interruption

life is all in those buds ... most likely.. you will just have to give it another few weeks or so .. to see if they start elongating ...

and no.. i would not feed them ...

ken

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 5:19PM
spartacus83

Thanks for the info, I did move it once during the winter...not because I wanted to but because I had to. That could be it, I wouldn't say its due to lack of water because it has been especially wet in Western Washington this year. We actually had a little bit of snow last week as well!

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 9:17PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

I wouldn't say its due to lack of water because it has been especially wet in Western Washington this year.

==>>> if it was growing in the ground.. and you had to cut off some of its roots.. how can you affirmatively state .. that it processed enough water ... and say its not due to a lack of water ... water is only useful.. if you have an intact root system to use it ...

i dont see where you say its potted and moved it w/o digging ...

anyway.. report back in a few weeks and let us know ...

ken

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 7:34AM
Duque_in_VA

Spartacus, don't worry about the discoloration. It's common with Redwoods and Sequoias during winter. Some of my Redwoods look downright purple, with some brown buds.

Wait until it truly warms up and then post pics of its condition. Coast Redwoods are surprisingly forgiving. It doesn't mean they won't die, ...but they're much easier to get started than Giant Sequoias.

What you should watch out for is if you have whole sections of a branch (and its needles) turning brown. With spring moisture and warmer temperatures, fungi can cause problems for Coast Redwoods.

Let us know how it emerges from dormancy and enjoy the first light-green buds.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 5:16PM
nothotsuga

Look for the part of the foliage not exposed to direct sunlight. It should be green. This colour happens in Winter when there is no balance between foliage and roots.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 6:18PM
spartacus83

Thank you all for the info...I suppose I will just wait a few weeks and report back.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 4:38PM
mkaug

It is fine. The leader might be dead in which case one of two things will happen. A new leader will form, or another branch will actually rise up and become the leader, I know that sounds weird but it happened to a redwood of mine after a harsh winter.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 10:43PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Low forking of coast redwoods is frequent this far north. Whether there is a connection or not, coldest winters (example: 1990) here burn them. Although coast redwood, Oregon myrtle and tanoak make large specimens in cultivation here, and the first two even reseed, all three may get singed when temperatures bottom out - showing one of the reasons their northmost wild populations are all well south of our area.

An interesting thing about the northernmost wild redwood grove, on the Chetco River is that dense growths of western hemlock seedlings are preventing it from reproducing. A forest ecologist friend seems to think it may be the hemlock rather than the cold that keeps it from occurring farther north, on its own.

I'm not sure I buy it.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 12:40AM
spartacus83

Well I suppose I was just a little paranoid...Over the past week or two the tree started pushing out little green buds!! Sometimes I just need to remember that plants in general are pretty tough.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 7:33PM
miamijoe

Hello I have 3 costal redwoods about 2' tall still in gallon pots, I keep them on the deck, last few weeks the tips are getting yellow Brown. I am going to plant them in the spring. could this be lack or iron? Since they are in pots I am very good at keeping them watered, could I be over watering them? Thanks for your help.

PS I live in South Jersey so this is a first for me I think I am in an OK zone for them from what I have read.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 10:09AM
miamijoe

Can you keep a costal redwood in a 5 gallon container and just keep it trimmed back? It is in a 1 gallon container now and is about two foot tall. I have had them since they were saplings.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 8:58PM
New_Orleans

I have had my coast redwood for 4 years now. It's now five years old now. After 2 years I transplanted it from the back yard to the front yard. The dirt feel of the roots. A month later, we had to move. So I moved it again to the new house and put it in the ground again. It's a tough tree. Moving it twice didn't hurt it at all. It's about 6 feet tall now and healthy. I didn't think it would do well here in Atlanta.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
Meyer Spruce (picea meyeri)
I'm looking for an alternative to P. pungens and/or...
basic
can someone please help me I.D. this please?
I've had this tree for years and it hasn't seemed to...
mora2817
Please identify this pine tree
Could someone please identify these pine trees? This...
picoazores_deleted
Pseudotsuga macrocarpa photo
A photo of my pseudotsuga macrocarpa
bluethuja
"Best" Pseudotsuga for cold, eastern areas.
I'd like to add just a few Doug-trees to my menagerie...
wisconsitom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™