Tallest ferns for zone 6?

jeanneJuly 29, 2007

I'm trying to make a garden that's completely hardy here in zone 6a that has a tropical feel. What are some larger ferns that grow well here? I have ostrich ferns and would like other ideas so I can have some variety. Thanks in advance!

Jeanne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

For me, Thelypteris kunthii is quite tall and lush. Zone 6 seems to be the coldest it will tolerant. Here in Georgia is also the one that can tolerate the most sun as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thelypteris kunthii

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 2:25PM
Gnomlet(z6 CT)

Royal fern will grow to 6 feet or more if in sun and planted in a wet ditch. Interupted fern will grow in sun or shade to 3 to 4 feet depending on moisture. Cinnamon fern likes shade and good moisture and will grow to 3 or 4 feet. These three are all Osmundas. Then there are Goldies ferns, Spinulose wood ferns, Marginal wood ferns, Silvery spleenworts, Lady ferns, all of which grow large if in their favorite habitats, less tall under less favorable conditions. These and many others are native to the Northeast, hardy, love shade, moist woodsy soil, rocks and slopes.
Marianne (Gnomlet)

Bookmark   August 3, 2007 at 3:09PM
noki

Ostrich Fern has some larger cultivars. Easy to grow, and the better the conditions, the larger it grows.

Dixie Woodland Fern, Dryopteris X "Australis", grows 3' and reported up to 5', seems like one of the largest without being grown in a borderline swamp.

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
Doradilla? Fem Scale?
So I was in this Mexican market and found something...
cooperdr_gw
selling moss
I have been picking moss for a well sized moss distributor...
trista28
Deer Ferns have turned "Brown"
I have 2 deer ferns in containers on my shaded deck....
gardenbug
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this but excited to learn more. I was...
momo034
Can someone help me ID this fern?
Hi, I purchased this fern 2 years ago from eBay. They...
odysseos
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™