mushrooms in the garden

kellyvJuly 30, 2007

I have a problem with mushrooms growing in my mulch in my garden. I notice them first thing in the morning and then later in the day they are not there. They are only growing in my back garden whick is right beside a row of cedar hedges. It is not a BIG problem and I am not even sure if they are spreading. At this point they are pretty sparce. It's a new garden and I only moved into the house last summer so I'm not sure if they were already there and I didn't notice until now. My concern with the shrooms is that I have a 13 week old puppy that I have a hard time keeping out of the garden. Are they harmful?? He doesn't seem to be having any side effects yet... Do you know how I can get rid of them??

I have attached some pictures I found on the web. They look something like this...

http://www.cloudland.net/JPG/ASSORTED3/8-3-01mushrooms.jpg

http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Nature/SroomsInMulch.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Judy_B_ON(Ontario 5B)

Dogs don't normally eat mushrooms, but keep an eye on your puppy and if he shows any interest in them correct him and offer a chew stick instead.

Mushrooms grow on dead material like mulch and, unless you eat them, are harmless.

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 10:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnrjustice

Mushrooms can be difficult to identify, but from your description it doesn't sound like anything to worry about.

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 11:11PM
More Discussions
Platycerium madagascariense updates
Just showing a few forms of this interesting group...
RainforestGuy
Unknown Fern ID
I had this fern sprout in a pot with another plant....
foxd
selling moss
I have been picking moss for a well sized moss distributor...
trista28
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this but excited to learn more. I was...
momo034
Can someone help me ID this fern?
Hi, I purchased this fern 2 years ago from eBay. They...
odysseos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™