Desert Rose trunk growth?

ryan_tree(7aVA)October 30, 2010

Hey everyone,

I am planning on buying a Desert Rose in the next few days. I always see them with the big, thick trunks. I also plan on using this DR for bonsai. I will train it to look like a baobab. Does anyone know how quickly the trunks grow on these? Do they like to be root bound? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Ryan, growth time depends on your definition of speed. lol. DR are not the fastest growers. They're succulents, and most sux require patients. Some more than others.

IMO, DR prefer being root bound. Similar to growing bonsai.
Of course, DR are worth the wait...Toni

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 5:44PM
ryan_tree(7aVA)

Thanks Toni!

I was just wondering how long it would take to really beef up a DR. When/if I get mine I will be sure to leave it root bound. Thank you!

Bookmark   October 30, 2010 at 6:02PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Toni..Do desert roses prefer really being root bound? Is it to avoid over watering, or does one get better growth if so? Does the trunk grow faster?

Thank you..:-)

Mike

Bookmark   November 2, 2010 at 8:13PM
beachplant(9b)

I have a ton of these due to the fact I have no will power and they jump in my cart at the nursery. I haven't found, here in my climate, any differences in growth rates if they are potbound or in a big container. Some if mine are in bonsai containers-bf is into bonsai and will steal my plants if he gets a chance. They grow much faster here than up north because of our longer growing season and usual lack of bad winters. I have found the smaller the pot the more I have to water. They seem to like a lot of water, at least for me.
When you buy one try and get one that has a fat trunk as opposed to a more elongated one, I've found the fatter ones keep getting fatter but the more elongated keep getting taller.
Tally HO!

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
Waves and Ripples: A Study in Contrast
My Waves and Ripple Jades side by side... Christopher...
kaktuskris
Echeveria help! Flowers prematurely shrivel
My poor little Echeveria has been trying to flower...
ceourso
Just a few colorful jades and things after a long winter?
Hello all..I wanted to say hello and show a few things...
mikerno_1micha
Crassula Bonsai Lover
Hello succulents lovers, I would like to share some...
Martin
Hello Again!
Hi everyone! I used to be a very active member on...
irisherin13
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™