Staghorn fern ripped off a tree

kateanne(11)July 31, 2013

The groundskeeper for my work just brought me a present: a staghorn fern! He just ripped it off the tree, apparently. I have been looking up how to mount it. I have it in a gallon baggie now. I don't know what variety it is, but the base is brown, and it has no roots. Is it viable? almost all the bases of the ferns on our trees are brown. But all the tutorials on mounting it either have them come out of pots with roots or have a green base with a 'collar' around the fronds. Also, did the unceremonious ripping off the tree damage it?
It looks healthy, except for a couple brown tips and the brown base, but not like the pictures google turns up.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kateanne(11)

the base is about 8 inches across with fronds up to 18 inches or so

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 9:53PM
tropicbreezent

Looks like Platycerium bifurcatum, they're quite easy to grow if you keep up the humidity. Whether there's any damage to the plant just depends on how gently (or otherwise) it was "ripped off". Mostly these plants will survive given a bit of TLC.

Nest leaves grow out green but normally turn brown and are in turn eventually grown over by new nest leaves.

Are you going to mount it in a tree, or on a board?

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 5:22AM
kateanne(11)

Well, I don't have a tree, so a board. I have it sitting 'tree-side' down on some damp coco chips, while I figure out what to do with it. The store was out of spaghnum moss when I stopped last night.... ahhh hawaii. :P I will have to hunt around this weekend and mount it then. I also have to figure out if my home or lanai is humid enough, my office is in a rather rainy valley, but I live in a much sunnier and windier area.

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 1:48PM
tropicbreezent

You could do it without the sphagnum. Until it establishes itself just keep it out of the sun and wind. I don't use sphagnum and it would be a lot hotter with lower humidity for most of the year. So for me even though they struggle along a bit they're still okay but should do a lot better for you.

Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 2:40AM
More Discussions
Asplenum nidus with new fronds or new stems?
Two years ago they gave me two small Asplenium nidus...
Baobab
Sphagnum moss update!
Frozen Sphagnum Moss- the tiny bit of purple in there...
cooperdr_gw
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
Rescuing wilting Holly Fern
I'm struggling to grow my Japanese holly fern in my...
fieldofflowers
Decidedly Unhappy Moss
Hey all I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Here, we...
JasonFourie514
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™